Sons left for college, 1 year closer to retirement

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

Both sons just left for their junior and senior years. I am 60 and sailing has to be so much nicer when you are not limited to weekends.  I cannot wait till I am retired and can go whenever the weather is nice/perfect. I think I can retire next year, although the financial planners say that either my wife or I will live to be 93, I have to believe it wont be me. Question for you retired guys, How nice is it just to be able to sail when the weather is nice? I take a week every year on the Chesapeake as a vacation and it is so peaceful when the weekend warriors are not out! Cant wait till I can do the whole month.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Ron Hill

Glenn : Wouldn't cheer quite yet until those sons graduate!!                                                                            Had one of my daughters enter college with 60 credits on day one!! Only to find that she decided to graduate 4 years later with 3 majors!!  Tried to convince her that on ANY application they do not ask how many majors you have - degrees Yes but majors No.  Now a PhD and it took awhile but I finally got over it!!  With six I started paying college tuition in Aug 1972 and finished in Dec 1989.  Never even missed a semester!

Great to sail when the WX is OK and take trips and not have to be back on any certain date - WX be damned - must get back!!

We always avoided Annapolis on the weekend - you could step from boat to boat to get from the western Chesapeake shore to the eastern shore!!  The radio traffic was - to turn off the radio and hide in some cove!!

Found that the first limiting factor causing us to dock was - get rid of garbage (dingy full)!! 

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: glennd3 on August 23, 2019, 10:43:22 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Question for you retired guys, How nice is it just to be able to sail when the weather is nice? >>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Glenn,

It actually takes a lot of effort.  I find it amusing to wander through a week without caring what day it is, and I just had a vacant look when a shopkeeper said, "Have a great weekend!" to me an hour ago!  :D

One does, however, HAVE to know what day it is so that the tide & current tables make sense.  Here it is critical, especially during springs.

For example, I've been on the boat since Sunday, got underway on Monday, and I think tomorrow is Saturday because I have to vacate this guest slip at Friday Harbor.

I've traveled through some of these waters by ferry, but it sure is superior when you do it on your own boat.

Getting "into" open ended cruising does take work:  provisioning properly is critical.

Then all ya got left is "Where do we go tomorrow?"

That's the FUN part.

Good luck.  If you need any more specific assistance, I'll probably be in an anchorage with "No Service" on my technologically marvelous toys.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ekutney

My youngest daughter is getting married in Oct but I see retirement a few years away.  I love my job & it gives me flexibility to spend weekends on the boat.

I am doing a bunch of reading because the Chesapeake Bay has lots & lots of places to visit, drop the hook & relax.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Roc

Interested to hear what other retirees can say about the added flexibility on sailing!  Enjoyed reading Ron and Stu's comments  :clap
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

britinusa

We're both in our 70's, retired (Navy 25 years, Biz: 25 years, Nurse 45+ years) Kids - long time on their own way.

With our boat in South Florida, the weather is the biggest restrictor: Dorian has probably put the Bahamas off the list for at least a year, possibly several, so our grounds are primarily the East Coast of Florida and down to the Keys & Dry Tortuga's. I would go further, but my wife likes short days. We're planning longer trips, but they are basically day hops.

We have a very active sailing club and that is a big plus, great excuse to take the boat out.

Those of you that can step onto the boat, cast off and get out at any time the weather permits have my envy! We're tide bound 2 hours either side of high tide to get to and from the dock. So trips are always at least one overnight.

Oh! there's one other restrictor! We have a Grand-daughter that lives an hour away - Grandpa and Grandma love having her stay over  :santa

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Roc

Wow Paul, you seem to have many restrictions!  Almost as bad as me with work and weather....  Based on your tag "Britinusa" I assume 25 years in Royal Navy?  Very Cool  :thumb:
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD