Water Heater Question

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

Hi - I've got a slow leak in my freshwater system - every once and a while the water pump comes on and the bilge is slowly (very slowly) filling with clean water (like an inch a week).  I've been able to isolate the problem to the hot water tank.  For the time being I've bypassed the hot water tank - connecting the input hose and output hose (the way I would do when winterizing the engine.  Leak seems to have stopped.

My question - is it safe to motor with the hot water tank bypassed?  I am thinking it is, but I seem to recall something about the raw water which cools the engine coolant also passes through (around?) the hot water tank - that is how I get hot water when motoring I think.

Is it safe to motor with the hot water tank bypassed (well - safe except for the frustration of my wife not having hot water)?

Thanks in advance.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

No foul, no harm so long as they are tied together.

That's essential how the engine operates when it comes across the pond. Catalina takes the hose off and connects the WH.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Geoffreykwright

Thanks.  So just to be clear - I'll be okay since the input and output hose of the water heater are connected?  Its now a closed loop. 

Now that I've bypassed the heater, no leaks and no occasional (but brief) running of the pump. 

Just want to be sure no problem motoring.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Stu Jackson

That's correct, NO problem.

Ken is correct when he says the engines came without water heaters.

Why?

'Cuz they were (and are) tractor engines.  :clap

I get my Kubota parts from our tractor dealer about 3 km away from our house.  :D

Great guys, right parts, fraction of the Universal prices.

Ken also contributed a very good wiki article on the coolant flow, with corrections to the manuals diagrams.  You might be interested in checking it out.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Geoffreykwright

Thanks Stu, Ken...
...I'll try and find the wiki article.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Jim Hardesty

I would suggest when you replace your hot water heater install a bypass.  Saves a lot of aggravation winterizing and is little added work when you have your water heater out.  Here is a link to WM can probably do better someplace else.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/camco--water-heater-bypass-winterizing-kit--329195

After looking closer I'd buy one with two 3way valves
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Geoff

The article, I think is the 2nd under the engine > cooling topic.  I updated some text last night.

The camco kits Jim shows can be had from a discount RV place for about half the floating RV sources. 
One consideration is to make sure you're getting a full flow ball valve.  See pic for what you DON'T want.

I did an alternate method that assures full flow. (For unrelated reasons) I have my potable connection to the WH inzie/outzie on opposing male/female brass garden hose fittings. I simply unscrew them and screw together the m/fm hose ends.  Even quicker would be brass garden hose quick connect fittings. I have great access to the WH (not buried in a cabinet) so my lack of C34 knowledge pontificating applies to if you have decent access somewhere so that you can easily access the hoses (doesn't need to be right at the WH.)
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Geoffreykwright

Thanks.  Bypassing the heater is pretty easy - I've got easy access to it and simply connect the 'in' and 'out' hose with a male-to-male barb.  Takes only a minute or two...so I don't think I need to install something like this...but certainly would if the WH were not so accessible.

I'll have a look at the article.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Geoffreykwright

Ken - read the wiki - thanks - helpful.  Next question - even though the water heater is bypassed, it will still get hot while under engine - correct?  If so - any risk of it over-heating if there is no water in it?
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

KWKloeber

There's no issue running the system as you proposed. As I have said, no harm no foul.
HOWEVER, DO NOT turn on the shore power to the WH with no water in it. That can burn out the heating element.

Geoffreykwright

Yep - thanks - already thought of that and temporarily disconnected the WH breaker to prevent any accidental turning on.
Sundowner III
Toronto, CANADA

Hugh17

You can also bypass the water heater hoses at the engine/thermostat hosing by connecting a short piece of hose to the thermostat housing and engine. Picture on the left is my original M25XP showing the water heater hoses connected. Picture on the right is my replacement M25 with the water heater bypassed.

If your water heater is leaking and needs to be replaced then consider replacing those old hoses when you replace the water heater. 
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hugh17 on August 20, 2019, 02:55:45 AM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
If your water heater is leaking and needs to be replaced then consider replacing those old hoses when you replace the water heater.

Absolutely, writeup and link in Critical Upgrades.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Breakin Away

Quote from: Jim Hardesty on August 15, 2019, 09:22:19 AM
I would suggest when you replace your hot water heater install a bypass.  Saves a lot of aggravation winterizing and is little added work when you have your water heater out.  Here is a link to WM can probably do better someplace else.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/camco--water-heater-bypass-winterizing-kit--329195

After looking closer I'd buy one with two 3way valves
Jim
Hi all, I'm re-activating this thread because it's relevant to me. I'm not replacing my water heater, but I am shopping around for bypass kits for my existing heater (which is only about 5 years old), and have a bunch of questions.

• Does the linked Camco kit have the right threads for our heaters?
  • Will it fit in the tight confines of the MkII dinette settee? Is there an acceptable workaround with elbow fittings?
  • Is it possible to remove the old fittings and replace the new ones without removing the whole tank?
  • Is the three-way valve a "full flow" type? If not, can you recommend a valve that is?
  • I like the idea of a single three way valve paired with the check valve that's included for the hot water outlet. That simplifies things because you only have to flip one valve. But does this new check valve (in addition to the cold water check valve that's already present) create too much resistance to flow?
  • Finally, it appears that I'd have to add some hose barb fittings to attach the existing hoses. I wasn't able to pull apart my system today to measure the ID, but it looks like the hoses are about 3/8" id. Is this correct?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Jim Hardesty

By-pass is really simple. Here is what my by-pass looks like.  I also put instructions in plastic on water heater in case someone else was doing it.

Instructions are on water heater as follows.

1.  Turn off hot water ac breaker and water pressure dc breaker.
2.  Turn cold water in (lower valve) to by-pass
3.  Open tank drain
4.  Open hot water at sink faucet.  So tank will drain
5.  To speed up draining use blow on vac or air compressor at sink faucet
6.  Let tank drain
7.  Turn hot water out (upper valve) to by-pass
8.  Done

Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club