Does anyone know what this is?

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoffreykwright

I found this sitting on the deck just to the right of the mast.  Looks like it might be some sort of spring.  Anyone know what it is?  (I've got hull# 1494, year 2000)
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA

glennd3

Maybe be your slip neighbor is messing with you and put it there! :shock:
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

patrice

Hi.

Yes i know what it is.
It is a .....
I have it .  It is
A bent wire.     :abd:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

csimmerling

"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

mark_53

Pull on your boom and see if it falls off.  A cotter pin is what hold the goose-neck to the mast.

Ron Hill

Sun : It almost looks like someone made their own quick pull "pin" instead of using a ring clip or cotter key?  Way too big to be a cotter pin/key!!
There are 2 shinny rub spots on the long leg while there is rust/corrosion on the rest of it!?!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Have you checked your hatch(s) hinge(s)? Might have been a Jerry rigged hinge pin.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Geoff I see in your previous threads that you were adjusting your rigging. Any chance this piece came from any of that activity?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Patches

Can't tell for sure.  What I can tell you is that when I was up the mast a couple of months ago installing a new anchor light, I discovered that the cotter "keeper" pin (securing the clevis pin which held the forestay to the masthead) had one of the legs "bent" and was abrading my genoa halyard for the furled sail.  I carefully attempted to bend it away from the halyard with some pliers, and it snapped off one of the legs of the cotter pin in the process.  This secures the entire forestay and furler in place.

I made an appointment with a rigger who detuned the rigged--unloading the clevis pin-- and replaced the broken cotter pin.  What he found was a cotter pin which wasn't even stainless, and replaced it with a stainless one.  Not good.

Not sure what that piece is from, but if you haven't been aloft in awhile, it may make sense going up and inspecting some of the connecting hardware.  If I hadn't gone up to replace the anchor light, I would not have discovered the pin was sawing through my genoa halyard, or that the pin was not stainless.  I use a Topclimber to get myself up and down which, at 58, is still doable.

Patches

britinusa

There were probably two, one got ditched, so now you have a radio.

:D

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Geoff,

is one side flat and the other rounded (ie, is it D shaped like half a cotter pin?) if so, I'd start seriously looking for the other half and what's soon going to be falling out of the hole (clevis, etc.)

Patches,

I don't get it, why would a rigger have to de-load anything to replace a cotter pin?  There's **never** (shouldn't be) any loading directly on a cotter.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Quote from: britinusa on July 07, 2019, 03:04:15 PM
There were probably two, one got ditched, so now you have a radio.

:D

Paul

British Humor ! :D
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Patches

Ken:

The clevis pin had "worked" slightly outboard, wedging what was left of the cotter pin tight into the toggle. No way to get that out without detuning/slackening the rigging.

Although I thought about how I might do this myself, from my Topclimber, I kept going back to what I would do to support the entire weight of the forestay and furler (even after taking the sail off) in the event the clevis pin backed out all the way.  How would I muscle the top of the forestay back to the masthead and work a clevis pin in at the same time? 

I'm sure if I was in some remote anchorage I would be forced to figure it out.  But being that a rigger was nearby and I was going to have him help assess the "noisy partners" issue (see prior post) as well, I happily paid him to do that--with the assistance of yet another rigger on deck.  In the end, I was happy he did it.

Patches

KWKloeber

Gotcha, I figured it must have been something like that jammed up.

If it happens again, I've never met a tight clevis pin that my $7.50 harbor freight 32-oz ball peen hammer couldn't tap back into freedom enough to change the cotter.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Geoffreykwright

Thanks for all the feedback.  I don't think its the boom - everything there is in place.  Hatches seem secure.  Its not a piece of a cotter pin.  Hope to god its not half of a quick-pull at the top of the forestay keeping it connected to the mast!  Will go aloft and check as soon as I can find someone to pull me up.

I am (optimistically) guessing that's not what it is - since the previous owner was meticulous with rigging and upkeep - but you never know.
Sundowner III
Catalina 34 Mk II Hull 1494 (Built 2000)
Toronto, CANADA