Starting problem

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Phil another useful thing is to move the battery negative cable if it is on a bell housing bolt.  it should be on a starter bolt for the highest voltage at the solenoid and starter.
When you check/clean the terminals, "build" the connections with the heaviest one on first, the lightest one on top.  Remember the battery selector switch terminals as well.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

kh3412

Phil if you need a hand let me know.
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

Phil Spicer

After checking things with the help of a fellow 34 owner we thought the problem may be the rebuilt starter. Took it to the shop and
it checked out good.
   Pulled the ground wire, it was clean, wire brushed it anyway. Wire is to short to put on the bottom starter bolt so returned it to the bellhousing.
Cleaned all connections. All back together and it worked. Over the next 2 hours I started it 6 or 8 times.Started each time. Hope it keeps working.
   A C30 friend came over (after the work was done) and said I should make sure the slip on spade connector on the solenoid was tight. He said that could sometimes causes an intermittent start problem if it wasn't tight. Don't know now, but as of yesterday it has started.
   Thanks to you all for your guidance.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Phil : When I've had electrical problems it had usually been the ground.

I have a duel output Balmar that goes direct to battery bank 1 and the other to battery bank 2.  When I routed those + wires I also included a #4 gage negative that goes from the alternator case to the battery negatives.  The factory + and - battery wiring stayed in place.
When I installed a battery monitor I also included a #8 wire that goes from the negative shunt directly to the negative buss bar on the inside panel above the battery selector switch.

So I have negatives "all over the place" and never have had a starting or electrical problem.  :thumb:

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Jon W

Sometimes my wife tells me I have negatives all over the place.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Phil Spicer

Sorry to hear that Jon. I understand. On a good note, Boat started again today.
   Ron, I'll Look into those grounds. Thanks
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.