Void in topside Deck

Previous topic - Next topic

Sdsailor

Yesterday, i went to patch a getlcoat crack, or so i thought. Once we dremeled through, we discovered wet wood between the top and bottom fiberglass deck and overhead liner.  We stuck a cable tie in the holes to get a rough idea of how big the void is. We drilled a drain hole and vacuumed out as much water as we could. No rain in the forecast for a week so i will allow it to dry out and maybe use a heat gun to help dry.   Once dry , i have two part epoxy , slow curing to allow for better viscosity longer working time.

i realize the real fix is to tear up the deck and replace as necessary. probably not gonna do that....yet. 
Anyone had to deal with this?

thanks, Dan

britinusa

Not as bad as that, but same type of crack.
The PO seems to have drilled in from the top, and used epoxy or Capt Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure because the deck at and around the crack sounds very solid.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Guys : One of our Fleet 12 member found a void in his deck.  I stead of drill and filling, he cut it out and mounted a small (head size) hatch !!

a thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

**<<Anyone had to deal with this?>>>**

Dan. Nope definitely have not ever fixed your deck. CRS but I'd remember that.
Seriously though, baadumm, one of the best ways you can dry out the core is to put a vacuum on it. That ang gently heating from below. You can also flood with alcohol which helps by entraining water but quickly evaporating (think drygas in a gasoline tank.)

Is that whole area rotted?  Anything you do is better than what you have. 😎 8)

The deck core replacement I had to do was luckily on a boat with a headliner and so cut out everything below the nonskid/glass deck skin and replaced from the bottom up ⤴️
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Sdsailor

Those are all great tips, particularly the hatch idea! I'm not sure how much is rotted underneath, but the heat gun and alcohol-wash are in my plans. Good to hear the success of someone else doing this method! I'll post results on this thread! Thank you all for your responses!