Pau Hana Update

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Henderson

Been lots of churn dockside for Pau Hana as of late. 
I've had riggers from Pacific Offshore Rigging come by and inspect the rig and to try and solve my Main Halyard "difficulty in raising" issue.  I also had the riggers come by to replace a Windex that needed replacing.
As with most maintenance issues, one thing led to another and soon I had replaced not only the Windex but also a new VHF antenna, along with my Raymarine wind transducer, and, while they were there some new spreader boots. 
The big change however (Inspired by Noah's recent post on Tide Strong Track) was the addition of installation of the The Strong Track.  It has definitely made raising and lowering the main a bit easier.  Not as easy as I was really hoping for but easier than before.  (I think I may start a separate post on this lingering issue to give more detail.)
Next items in the hopper are replacement of my batteries.  I am going to install 4 Trojan 105s and also a smaller 12v dedicated starting battery (recommendations?)
Finally... following up from a recent past post... I am ordering a Raritan PHII marine toilet to install and replace my Jabsco (Screaming Banshee that wakes the neighbors at night) Electric Head.

Time to Sail!   :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Kevin Henderson on June 05, 2019, 10:55:23 AM.................
and also a smaller 12v dedicated starting battery (recommendations?)

Glad to hear you're gettin' there.

Start battery only needs to be a small automotive one, mine is a 60ah.  Many will say that it's the CCA rating, but once you get to that size in ah they are all more than robust to start our engines.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Our C34 rig's set-up has a lot of friction built into the design with the internal halyards leading aft. The Tides Strong Track is an improvement, especially when dropping the sail. Mine falls like a rock. Raising it is also improved however, it will goes up very easy if you have someone "jump" the halyard (manually raise it at the mast while someone else takes in the slack from the cockpit).  Did your riggers remove the mast cap and change the sheaves to ball bearing ones? That should make an incremental improvement as well. 
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Curious.

Our main was tough to haul up, my wife could not manage it, so it's always my job.

We have 2 Reefpoints. Each with it's own Down Haul (Luff) and out haul (Leach)
The down hauls lines go from the sail, down to a block at base of mast, out to a line organizer on deck, back under the traverler, into a spin lock line clutch.
The out haul lines go from the sail, down to a block on the end of the boom, back to a block near the gooseneck, down to a block at base of mast, out to a line organizer on deck, back under the traverler, into a spin lock line clutch.

Because we normally leave the 2nd reef in place (and thus the 1st reef also), the 4 reefing lines are taught before hoisting the main sail.
ie. both the 1st and 2nd reef cringles are close to the boom

If I'm not concerned that I'll need the 2nd or 1st reef, I'll release the their line clutches.

But - if I release the line clutches and pull the reefing lines out at the mast and at the leach, then raising the sail is a whole lot easier!

And we use a WinchRite

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Guys : I found that lessening the angle (mast to cockpit) to 45 degrees and BB sheaves at the base and top of the mast makes a difference.
Wrote an article in the Mainsheet tech notes with pictures.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788