Teak Grate in Head

Previous topic - Next topic

Susan Ray

Aloha,
I recently notice hairline cracks in the head floor. They looked superficial but bothered me.
My Son suggested I install a teak grate to distribute the weight and hopefully no more cracks.
I got a shower grate from Amazon 31" by 19.6" and a great woodworking guy on my pier took a template and cut it to fit.
He used the cut pieces to reinforce the bottom as the cross pieces had tone cut also.
It arrived just oiled with non skid bumpers that were taken off.
It's very study feeling when walked on and looks great!
Aloha, Susan on "Stray" in the Ala Wai Harbor, Honolulu Hawaii

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

That looks great. I've thought of doing something to my head floor for similar reasons. Any more details on the supplier and product to help find it online?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Susan Ray

It's from Sea Teak called Teak shower mat. There are a lot of them on Amazon, I even ordered one and then returned it as it didn't even look like teak. This one has a nice color and you can tell it's teak. I tried to post a photo but it was too big.

Stu Jackson

Very nice job, Susan.  Nice to see you back.

Am I correct in remembering that you are one of many skippers who have owned two different Catalina 34s?

For photos:

Posting and RESIZING Photos 101  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3701.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Susan Ray

Hi Stu,
This is actually my third Catalina 34!  Thank you for remembering me  and thank you for the resizing and posting photos information.  I had this one brought over by a friend? And it was pretty well trashed by the time it got here. I didn't know he was going through a midlife crisis!
He did make a record crossing... the first two were delivered in 22 and 24 days and this one came over in just under 14 days ! Two mains were blown out, the jib also and the traveler was broken.
Many things broken or trashed...But the good ol' Catalina 34  kept him safe and brought him 2600 miles aside from the abuse..
She's looking a lot better now! I still go and read a lot of messages and get a lot of good information..
I'm glad you're all here!
I'll read your information on how to reduce the photos and send you a picture of her

Susan Ray

Ekutney

Nice looking custom teak grate.  I would also be interested in any more source info you can provide.  I have a bath mat that covers the head floor but like the idea of what you did.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Dave Spencer

Ed,
Based on her description, I'm sure this is it.
This is a Canadian link but I'm certain it would be available on US Amazon also.
SeaTeak 60022 Teak Shower or Door Mat, Oiled Finish, Rectangular https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0042A7728/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2d99CbSGKNDF5

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

scgunner

Susan,

I'm jealous, a Catalina 34 in Hawaii, two of my favorite things.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Susan Ray

Kevin, Two Of my favorite things too!
  Following this subject, the teak grate was oiled only and  seemed to leak a little color when showering. So I took it out and sanded it and put a water-based Varathane on it.
I've used it before and it works for quite a while . I'll have to take it out the to scrub it about every six months anyway.

csimmerling

Susan's advice and info worked grate! I got the one from Amazon ("used", it was perfect in original box). Made a cardboard template and cut it to size. See photo - looks almost as good as hers. Thanks Susan!
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

Susan Ray

That looks excellent! I'm glad I could help you out to improve the looks of the head. Aloha

MarcZ

I really like this idea and already placed the order.
Susan can you post few more pictures showing corner near the sink and most importantly back side of your grate?
Did you keep rubber feet that grate came with ?
Thank you,
Marc
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Susan Ray

Aloha,
I'm not sure if my last message posted so I'm doing it again! I did not keep the rubber feet on the bottom. And the friend who cut the wood for me used some of the pieces cut off as additional support on the bottom. It wobbled a bit so I cut some wine corks and attach to superglue it works fine now.  Good luck