Keurig coffee maker

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

As we enjoy our Keurig coffee at home, I have finally found a Keurig machine that works on the boat.  We have a 1500 watt inverter that could not handle the power required by the first model we bought, as it required close to that amount of power.  I found that the K130 (or B130) model use only 700 watts. Both are the single cup machines you commonly see in hotel rooms. I picked mine up on Ebay for a fraction of list price.  It makes a cup of coffee in a couple of minutes.
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Jim Hardesty

I use a Keurig K15 single cup coffee maker that runs off my 1800w inverter.  If Shamrock is healed much I put it on the gimbled stove that I have a cutting board on.  Found out that if the Keurig is tilted it won't brew a full cup.  Great to have a good cup of coffee with out much effort or mess.  On the down side, it's a power hog.  If anchored for a few days I use a Melintta pour over coffee maker.  Also a very good cup of coffee, with a little practice.
Been on boats that use the old perkulator, coffee was ok but the smell while brewing was great.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

britinusa

We stopped using our Keurig.

Now we just use a traditional perculating coffee pot to boil the water (sans coffee) then pour the water over a paper filter with coffee, that is in a cone, into a coffee jug.

Easiest clean up - just toss the filter & coffee into the garbage (pretty sure it's recyclable. NO PLASTIC throwaway, no grinds to clean out of the coffee jug.

We take the filter, cone and jug home to use here also.

Love it.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Noah

Careful—making coffee onboard is as controversial and personal a topic as the choice of anchor systems.  I am a French Press advocate myself! 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

We use a Keurig at home and we've been using a French Press on-board for years now.  At home we want quick and easy.  Onboard its boat-tiime which calls for great coffee and time to enjoy it!  We use a plastic multi-cup french press with an insulated cover and love it.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on June 03, 2019, 05:54:41 PM
Careful—making coffee onboard is as controversial and personal a topic as the choice of anchor systems.  I am a French Press advocate myself! 8)

Noah's right!

Just for grins&giggles, I did a search on "coffee" figuring that it would find all sorts of prior discussions.

Interestingly enough, and much to my surprise, many of the posts were about skippers having a cuppa right after they repaired some difficult to access mechanical glitch or installing a technological  enhancement.  As in: "I just finished and sat down with a cup of coffee, admiring my..." :clap

Few of them admitted to the addition of rum to the cuppa.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

mark_53

Quote from: Roland Gendreau on June 02, 2019, 12:39:19 PM
As we enjoy our Keurig coffee at home, I have finally found a Keurig machine that works on the boat.  We have a 1500 watt inverter that could not handle the power required by the first model we bought, as it required close to that amount of power.  I found that the K130 (or B130) model use only 700 watts. Both are the single cup machines you commonly see in hotel rooms. I picked mine up on Ebay for a fraction of list price.  It makes a cup of coffee in a couple of minutes.
I found a version that uses no watts, makes a cup in minutes and can easily create that "Starbucks" rich flavor by just adding 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of instant coffee in a cup of boiling water.  Yes, Noah was right!

KWKloeber

I'm not sure they're made anymore but Maxwell House "Filter Pack" coffee is eazy peazy, toss one pack into a pot of water, boil to your taste/richness. 
No muss
no fuss
no grounds
no drips
no runs
no errors.
Mmmmm.

Now- poliglo vs wax?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Roland Gendreau

My post wasn't intended to convince anyone to use a Keurig in lieu of their preferred brew method.  I just wanted folks who are looking to use a Keurig which machine I found practical to use because of its lower power requirement. 

I expected that response to a coffee on boats post might be spirited...but I would venture that a Dogs on Boats post would lead to even more spirited responses!

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Noah

Now you're talking! :thumb:
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Craig Illman

I would make my morning mocha with a packet of instant coffee and a packet of Swiss Miss. (plus the hot water, of course)

Craig