Drive shaft touching stern tube

Previous topic - Next topic

cmainprize

When applying bottom paint this week I noticed the shaft is just touching the bottom aft edge of the stern tube where it exits the boat.  The shaft has never been centered in the shaft where it exits the tube, but I have never noticed it to touch the bottom of the tube.

The cutlass bearing has not play, and does appear to have any uneven wear.  The boat is still in the cradle, I do understand this can "bend" the boat a bit, but the shaft seems to low.  I also noticed some additional vibration sounds late last year.  I am thinking the mounts have compressed a bit causing the engine to sit a bit lower changing the angle the share exits the tube causing it to just touch the tube. 

The boat is set up with a dripless log and federal flex coupler. 

I am thinking one or two turns on each corner would be enough to lift the engine enough to increase the shaft angle and prevent it from touching the tube and should keep the alignment close enough that I can fine tune it once the boat sits in the water for a week or so and "straightens out'.

Thoughts or suggestions? 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Cory : You definitely need to move the engine.  Like you said .. adjust it on land and then fine tune it after it's back in the water for 24 hrs.

Good luck  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

cmainprize

Thank Ron! I ordered new K75 mounts this week as well.  The arrived today.  They have a curved washer between the bottom and top nut.  Does the washer go on top on the lower height adjusting nut, our below the top nut?  I am suspect below the top nut, but the they don't come with instructions. 

Thank in advance. 
Cory Mainnprize
Mystic
Hull # 1344
M35
Midland Ontario

Ron Hill

Cory : I used the curved washer (a lock type) under the top.  I sandwiched the curved between a regular washer on the bottom and the nut on the top.

After you get everything adjusted and tightened take some red fingernail polish and make a slippage mark. This will tell you at a glance if the nut is backing off!!

A few thoughts   :thumb: 
Ron, Apache #788