Steering wheel shudders

Previous topic - Next topic

hopkinslaw

The shaft that my steering wheel slides onto moves bit. The shaft goes in and out about a millimetre. It also seems to move about a millimetre up and down. As I understand it the shaft should only spin. There should be no play in/out or up/down.

I don't notice this much when I am hand steering but when I am under autopilot the wheel shakes or shudders.

Any suggestions on diagnosing/fixing this issue?

I am hoping that if I replace some of the shims using this kit the problem will go away. The rep I spoke to at Catalina Direct was not very hopeful.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=2962

David Hopkins
Vancouver
1990 C30

ghebbns

I remember reading some posts on using mylar sheets as shims.  I did this with my Catalina 30 and it did help.  I am sure others will provide some other suggestions.
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Jon W

I'd give Edson a call and talk to their tech support.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ron Hill

The mylar strips along the sides will take out the lateral movement of the rudder & column.
Add another nylon bushing (or take another bushing and sand it thinner?) under the emergency tiller cap and put it on top of the one already there and it will take out the vertical movement.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

hopkinslaw

Thank you all for the help. Edson did not respond to my emailed inquiry. Catalina Direct thought my idea was correct. I will update after I do the upgrade.

Jim Hardesty

Edson steering gear last a very long time.  If the bearings at the steering wheel axle are worn the pulleys and steering cable may also need changing, or at least a close inspection.  I'm wondering if the steering cable has been over tightened and put stress on the bearings.  As Ron suggested also take a look at the rudder post for play.  That will cause the wheel to vibrate but not move up and down or in and out.
Hope you get this problem resolved soon and have a good sailing season.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA