Prospective Owner Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Sand Pebble

Hi Stu

I have been studying and looking at boats for about six months, the first four months I was just outside of reality. I was looking at boats I truly couldn't afford when it came right down to it. I have learned about all the extra things that I will need to pay for during and after the purchase and now I'm hopefully settling down to a more realistic boat for my budget. Of course I'm not saying I have nothing to learn, I have everything to learn I have just touched the top of the iceberg. I only moved over to looking at the C34's after my reality check and then really starting to see what a wise possible choice for both new and experienced sailors. It appears to be a whole lot of bang for your buck.
SV Sand Pebble C34 Mark 1 hull #418 engine 25XP

SV Sand Pebble

Just sharing my thoughts and experience so far on the Catalina 34 boat buying process. Being my budget is in the $40,000 dollar range my budget limits me to mostly boats of the 1980's. Maybe in some ways it was unfortunate to run into as one member here stated a time capsule Catalina 34. A time capsule because going aboard you feel like you walked onto a pretty new boat, great condition, one problem, little to no upgrades. There has been some, fuel tank, water heater, new toilet, heat ex changer but for the most part original sails and all, I seen a beginner could get a few good used sails for under $1000.00 if careful.
    So far up to date I have seen 5 34's in person and I will see one more tomorrow that has been cruised offshore and has all the equipment and more. So far I have notice that some of the boats cruised hard show intense wear and tear, reminds me of the old 1960 and 70's car with a 120,000 miles, a bit beat. I am sure there are some owners out there that have walked the fine line of use and upgrades accompanied with a whole lot of love and respect for their boat, I just have not found that (yet). I am beginning to think that a boat maybe even a time capsule with the right offer may have the right foundation, the good bones to be a great starter boat for a mechanically and electrically inclined new sailor. After all how many sailors purchased a brand new Catalina 34 bare bones, I read at times in the past with no seat cushions or even life lines. Please tell me if I'm in error, if you have an auto pilot, a depth and speed instrument, a good compass and a notebook with navionics you have the basics to grow from. Oh yes, for the newbie sailor, a good life raft and insurance.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: svtranscendence on May 16, 2019, 11:06:51 AM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I am beginning to think that a boat maybe even a time capsule with the right offer may have the right foundation, the good bones to be a great starter boat for a mechanically and electrically inclined new sailor. After all how many sailors purchased a brand new Catalina 34 bare bones, I read at times in the past with no seat cushions or even life lines. Please tell me if I'm in error, if you have an auto pilot, a depth and speed instrument, a good compass and a notebook with navionics you have the basics to grow from. Oh yes, for the newbie sailor, a good life raft and insurance.

Good thoughts, George.

Basically, the right foundation gets you a great boat.  The wrong boat with all the bells & whistles may well not do so.

Our boat was pristine when we bought her from her single owner, she was 12 years old.  I thought that with the Harken BattCar system and the cleanliness of everything else, that I had THE boat.  Forever.  We bought the boat because of the aft head and aft cabin.  We'd had a Catalina 25 for 13 years, and a C22 for 5 before that.

Well, I did have THE boat for a long, long time.  But once we bought her, I immediately replaced the old ferroresonant charger with a new Freedom 15 Heart Inverter/Charger because the PO had installed a microwave, unheard of in 1986 boats.  I upgraded the electrical system by putting in a larger alternator.  I slowly went the LED route, but my use said it didn't much dent my energy budget with the old lamps because my mom taught me to turn off lights in rooms I didn't occupy!  I anchored out regularly compared to my SF Bay C34 colleagues who simply didn't.  Ever.  I upgraded the traveler.  I did or made sure of all the Critical Upgrades.

Now that I've moved to Canada, there are two things that I sure wish I had based on how I use our boat:

1.  Windlass - I anchor out a lot here and the water is way deeper.

2.  Diesel heat - Would extend my season and Steve Dolling mentioned how cold it was for them even in Northern California on their trip to MX and he came from here! (And had heat, IIRC.)

What all this means for you is this:  carefully analyze How YOU Intend to Use Your Boat. 

Only then will all the bells & whistles start to make sense.  Analyze your needs and compare them to wants; two very different things.  Folks said I'd die out there if I didn't have a HUGE chartplotter at the helm with a below decks ram autopilot.  I spend literally no time behind the wheel and if I ever did the very last thing I'd want is a huge TV screen in my way.  I have an anemic old ST3000 wheel autopilot.  It gets me around and taught me good sail trim.  It is not a unit for sailing across oceans, but how many of us do?

My cushions remain in great shape except for the two seats at the nav station and right in front of the galley.  I stuck a couple of sheets of foam underneath and now they don't bottom out, but I'm making plans to replace those two.  My OEM cockpit cushions don't like rain (which we hardly got in SF) so I use throwable cushions.  Many have purchased those nifty blue seats with backs that are truly worth it - I've tried them on other boats.

You can find out what a bare bones C34 was like in 1986 by going to the wiki, link below, and looking at the price list and features.  One of the hallmarks of these boats was that "bare bones" got you an ENTIRE boat. 
http://c34.org/wikiwp/?rdp_we_resource=http%3A%2F%2Fc34.org%2Fwiki%2Findex.php%3Ftitle%3DEvolution_of_the_Catalina_34

You'll need insurance to get a slip.  I don't have a life raft and know of few who do coastal cruising who do, although Steve did.

Your final thought hit it out of the park.  You're right.  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Again a good, solid, well maintained C34 boat is all you need. The only upgrades needed are the "Critical Upgrades" that are detailed on this website in their own section. However, I would add standing rigging to list, if over 10-15 years old, or at least a full rig inspection. There are items on our 30-year-old boats that "are on borrowed time" (as Jon W. unfortunately noted with his fuel tank) and will eventually need replacement sooner than later, these are: fuel tank, exhaust risers, reefer compressors, some pumps like macerators. All else is maintainable. You can still start sailing with old sails, no autopilot, and certainly, no life raft needed! Insurance is cheap $400-500 per year through BoatUs/Gieco
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks, Stu and Noah.

Noah, yes I agree what good is great sails if you have very poor rigging. With good rigging I can hoist a rag but with poor rigging someone is going to get hurt, maybe someone I love. Stu, I have one more boat in the morning to look at and then I think I will present an offer on one of them, if it's the the bare bones boat my offer will reflect the big picture with so much great help here.
  I was totally surprised yesterday to see one boat with a poor paint job in the cabin. If painting is a must make it beautiful and light. Another one I seen yesterday on my 300 mile trip had its navigation table cut in half to fit a re refrigerator in its corner, but it did have $8,000.00 dollars worth of navigation equipment and electronics. I would not dream of defiling a boat to fit a $100,00 refrigerator, call me old fashioned. My father God rest his soul always taught  me " Your home, your garage, your tools, your car and I will add your boat is a reflection of the condition and the shape of ones mind".
  Oh yes, nothing wrong with adding a $100.00 dollar fridge, just dont cut the boat up to do it.

Stu Jackson

George, now you personally know what I meant when I said when we were looking, for a year for ONLY Catalina 34s, we saw many horrible examples of neglect and abuse.

Silly or idiots?  Doesn't matter - same level of decay.   ARRRGH!!!! :shock:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

SV Sand Pebble

Hello Stu, scgunner, Kevin, Noah and all.

My offer was accepted yesterday on a very clean stock Catalina 34, the one I had mentioned here. It was a long hard day of haggling with a very close call to no deal. But in the end a good deal was put together, I feel good about it. Now the deal will move to a complete survey including engine, rigging, deck and Hull inspections, of course everything else I hope. I'm looking for my own inspectors in the Long Beach Los Alamitos bay area if any one has experience with a trust worthy surveyor in these parts. Now I know I will be even more grateful for a forum like this. :clap   

glennd3

Congratulations :clap!!!!!!!!!!!! We  need pictures and more info about the boat.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Just saw the pictures on Yacht world, Very well maintained from the pictures. I think you did very well. I would not worry to much about adding anything until you sail it for a season,then decide what you would like to add if anything. Great looking 34!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks so much, it took me 4 children and 41 years for the dream I had at age 17 while walking on the docks of Alamitos bay California to come to fruitation. I'm so ready for this chapter of my life. I'm 58 going on 17 cool. Pictures to come soon.

SV Sand Pebble

Here's a picture of  my knew 1987 Catalina 34. The only thing that may get in the way now is a bad survey but I don't think so.
  Don't look at the price tag. I'm leaving the price out, out of respect of the owners privacy.
  https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/1987-catalina-34-6891822/?refSource=standard%20listing

Stu Jackson

Gee, now all you have to do is slap YOUR name on her.

All the best of luck, you've done your homework.

We're here to help all along the way.

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks again my friend. This forum has reminded me of the good times I had in my youth with my car club. I had a 1966 Chevy Chevelle, the club was fun and its members were a great resource for upgrading  the performance of our cars and learning new skills to do it
Yes, there will be a new name.

SV Transcendence if the name is not taken, it maybe do to the the Influence of my girlfriend be the Sand pebble.
  I will let the forum know how the survey turns out.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteYes, there will be a new name.

Welcome.  You said you are a new sailor.  My two cents.
You need to decide if you are going to be one of those that honor the traditions or not.  Everything is online and just needs to be googled.  For Shamrock's renaming I just went with drinks with friends and nice graphics.  Some go all out. I understand from a friend that went all out the pee from a virgin was hard to find.
The choice is yours. FWIW One of my peeves is bad flag etiquette.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

scgunner

'66 Chevelle is a great car, I've got a '67 El Camino, it makes a great boat car.

If you like that name for your boat, I wouldn't be to concerned about it already being "taken", there are probably one or more boats with that name already. When I got my boat, "Top Gun", in 1988 due to the popularity of the movie there were at least a half a dozen boats(sail and power) in and around the area with that same name. I haven't seen another Top Gun around for awhile though.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273