Prospective Owner Questions

Previous topic - Next topic

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks Kevin, the old owners are moving out their stuff this weekend, we will be moving over to 17-8 or 14, I will find out on Monday and move the boat Wednesday. I will take you up on your offer and drop by and see you real soon. By the way much of what you pointed out was right and my final offer reflected all the many great pointers offered here. There is no looking back for me now, it's my boat come what may, I will make her mine now. I can see I have a good foundation but a lot of work ahead, especially learning to sail again. It's been 15 years and most of my experience was on smaller boats.
SV Sand Pebble C34 Mark 1 hull #418 engine 25XP

Breakin Away

My ST4000 autopilot failed on my maiden voyage after taking ownership. I disassembled the wheel mechanism and the belt was shredded where it makes the tight wrap around the motor sprocket. I think this is common if left unused for a few years.

Raymarine has discontinued the belt for the original ST4000, but perfectly fine replacement belts are readily available on ebay. I bought two so I'd have a spare. It is a very easy fix:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=belt+raymarine+d169&_sacat=0

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

SV Sand Pebble

Thank you for the link. I have a feeling mine may have the same problem. My boat has sat for awhile do to the owner having some health issues, the reason for the sale. I thought I heard the belt slipping, the electronics were on, all lit up and the motor was trying to run. By the way nice boat in your picture, mines more of an off white, you cant have it all. Yet I feel it's been awhile since she was buffed out, that should spruce her up.

Stu Jackson

Congratulations!!!

You can add "The New Boat Smell" by buying a can of air freshener, fiberglass smell.  I use one every decade whether I need it or not!   :D

Why not start new thread telling us about your exhaust thing?  I already have a few ideas, i.e., BTDT.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

SV Sand Pebble

Thanks, and I will start a thread when I can. So many loose ends still, the Marina, the broker still and Insurance.
  My exhaust leak is between the engine manifold and the muffler. I received a price discount for its repair, I think $600.00 it may just needs some bolts tightened, I will find out by this weekend. I will be sure to post what I find out. I always love to hear idea's, new boat smell? I am sure my girl friend would like a can of that, she liked this boat because it did not smell Lol.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: svtranscendence on June 10, 2019, 04:40:57 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  My exhaust leak is between the engine manifold and the muffler. I received a price discount for its repair, I think $600.00 it may just needs some bolts tightened, I will find out by this weekend. I will be sure to post what I find out.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You could start here

http://c34.org/muffler-exhaust-riser-replacement-2015/

and "take it with you" to the new thread.  :clap

One of the first things I did was a thorough inspection and getting to learn all the parts and how they worked together.  It really helps.

After 21 years I finally figured out what they call the pointy end.  :D

We're here to help.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."