fuel lines

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

Checked the wiki and did a quick search, couldn't find the answer.  I think the fuel lines are 5/8", anyone know how much hose I will need to change both the supply and return lines.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Jon W

On my 1987 the diesel fuel line is 3/8" supply side and 1/4" on the return side. The lengths will depend on how the hoses are run.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Ken Juul

John is right on the sizes.  Took 8' of the 1/4 and 10' of 3/8.  Plenty of extra.  Original routing did not make sense, my runs are more direct, therfore some extra slack.  But better to have too much than not enough.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : Here is an idea.  When I changed out my supply line I installed a fuel cutoff ball valve just before the Racor filter. It is easy to mount on the engine wall with easy access from inside the door under the head sink! 

I spent the extra $$ to get the CG Spec. fuel line.  I later found out that that spec. allows the line to be in a fire for something like 12 or 15 minutes before it melts!  As compared to the Gates Rubber made Diesel fuel line that will fail in a fire in about 5 minutes!!  Go figure!!

A few thoughts

Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Ball valve already in place.  Makes changing the Racor a lot less messy.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA