water coming in the traveler

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Stu Jackson

You're very welcome.

You now have all the theoretical and practical advise that you could in this dialog.  It pretty much summarizes everything the group has recorded in the past 30 years.  :D

Don't hesitate to ask right here even if you get stuck in the middle and have more questions.

We're here for ya.   :thumb:

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

anaisdog

first boat and i do most of the work myself so i freak out.  thanks

Stu Jackson

Quote from: anaisdog on April 30, 2019, 08:58:43 AM

My third and I still do that!   :clap :clap :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

anaisdog

btw, why did you say my boat was older when they are both 1986?

Jon W

According to your signatures, you have hull #99 and Stu has#224.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Jon's right.  :D

I wrote this as he was posting, beat me to it!

Quote from: anaisdog on April 30, 2019, 02:49:59 PM
btw, why did you say my boat was older when they are both 1986?

becki, simply because 99 comes BEFORE 224.  :D:D:D

I used to kid my friend, the late, great Bill Eddy that his boat was older than mine, too.  He had 214.  And I kidded my friend Stan O'Hoppe that my boat was more "experienced" than his 242.

All 1986.

All in good fun. 

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on April 30, 2019, 08:58:43 AM

becki

Sorry, I was out of touch and unable to answer you.
There's NO reason to freak out. nearly every owner of a "good old boat" goes thru the same level or worse problems as you encounter.  just take it as it comes and you will survive them all.  the best way to survive is to understand WHY you are facing what you are and WHY you are repairing something HOW you do it
I would avoid doing things "because s/he said so."  You have been down that route before (not from on this forum) and it's not necessarily worked out so well.

Quote from: anaisdog on April 29, 2019, 01:30:03 PM
Ken, did you take the traveler completely off?

Yes, you have to, to create the "compression spots" to seal around the fasteners.

Quote from: anaisdog on April 28, 2019, 07:19:16 AM
thanks Ken,i have his butyl (and lots of it) so i'll use that

I encourage you to understand what RC is doing and why, when he explains how to prevent leaks from fasteners.  It doesn't matter what the fastener is holding down (like a traveler.)   His is the same principle as what you are facing.  And his method is not to use LOTS of butyl to compensate for doing it the best way.

You have been advised to do it two different ways.  It's YBYC, but what I described per RC's method isn't "theory" -- it is straight from RC's YEARS of practical experience repairing and preventing such leaks and how to prevent water from getting down around fasteners.
Jeremy's critique here using butyl (or really any sealant):
https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8928.msg71678.html#msg71678
and applying RC's method to the traveler situation explains why simply putting butyl underneath ANY fitting, be it a deck fitting, stanchion, (or the traveler) isn't necessarily the best way to prevent a leak.

YBYC
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain