PT Boat Worton Creek, Bill Shreaves

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

Bill I hear there is a PT boat at Worton Creek Marina. Have you seen it?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Bill Shreeves

Let's put it this way, there is an old lap strake former military hull near the store that may have been used as a patrol boat at one time.   It's not the well known PT (Patrol Torpedo) boat like the famous PT 109 that Kennedy patrolled in.  There are very few of them left in the world.  If memory serves, in the single digits.  There used to be a couple at the Jersey shore that took people out on short cruises, I think in Wildwood but I think they're now gone. To the best of my knowledge, they were all plywood hulls for rapid construction / deployment not lap strake.

If you want more info on the hull, I'm sure a call to Tom Warner at the marina will get you some more info.  I think Wednesday & Thursdays are his days off.

I expect to have my boat back @ Worton Creek next weekend and I could take a few pics if you like
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

MarcZ

93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for the links and great information Marc!  This boat has a very interesting history and connection to the Bay.  Certainly, far, far fewer built than the WW2 PT boats I was referring to.    It's a little disappointing to see pics from your shared sight when compared to the appearance of the hull now.

THANKS!
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Phil Spicer

PT 728 is almost restored at the Liberty Aviation Museum in Port Clinton Ohio. Other WWII
Restored artifacts . Also restoring a trimotor ford plus one that takes you for a flight over
The island. Always in the hanger is a B-25 and 3 or 4 times a summer a B-17  visits. Those
Flights are longer and more $$$,  but tours were free. Will be going to check out the
Progress on the PT  boat soon.  Check out the museum web site
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Pgutierrez

The is a beautifully restored PT boat in New Orleans.