Working on mast cap

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

ChrisW

mcmastrcarr.com does have alum sheet in all thicknesses and widths x 6", 12" long.  Dunno if you were thinking of covering the "hole" or "whole."

The construction of your masthead is way different than mine -- can you get at the underside to slap a piece of Gorilla or T-Rex tape under the "hole" (not the "whole")?  I so, you could fill it with ALUMBOND, or ALUMFAST or ANDAX QUIKALUMINU, or LOCTITE EPOXY WELD, or any such, even just epoxy resin thickened w/ microfibers.  Sand flush.  Hit bare spots with a medium then light sand and IMMEDIATELY (avoid any oxidation) prime them w/ self-etching primer (like Rustoleum alum primer.)   Finish w/ a hard exterior enamel, like Rustoleum gloss white.

If all you want is to sail, slap on a pc of alum flashing/gutter repair tape and splash.

Otherwise, the Gomex deck pass-through is warranted for life so I'd guess that they already have the UV thing figured out.

If you want to drill out the ugly mess, see other message.

Good luck!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

ChrisW

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 27, 2019, 08:30:00 AM
ChrisW

mcmastrcarr.com does have alum sheet in all thicknesses and widths x 6", 12" long.  Dunno if you were thinking of covering the "hole" or "whole."

The construction of your masthead is way different than mine -- can you get at the underside to slap a piece of Gorilla or T-Rex tape under the "hole" (not the "whole")?  I so, you could fill it with ALUMBOND, or ALUMFAST or ANDAX QUIKALUMINU, or LOCTITE EPOXY WELD, or any such, even just epoxy resin thickened w/ microfibers.  Sand flush.  Hit bare spots with a medium then light sand and IMMEDIATELY (avoid any oxidation) prime them w/ self-etching primer (like Rustoleum alum primer.)   Finish w/ a hard exterior enamel, like Rustoleum gloss white.

If all you want is to sail, slap on a pc of alum flashing/gutter repair tape and splash.

Otherwise, the Gomex deck pass-through is warranted for life so I'd guess that they already have the UV thing figured out.

If you want to drill out the ugly mess, see other message.

Good luck!

Thanks for help.  I didn't know what a dremel tool was; I had to look it up.

I decided to go with the Blue Sea cable clam instead.  It looks just like the picture sailr4 posted.  I think it's a better product (even though the internal nuts came apart and I am having to epoxy them back in).

I think the solution of drilling the misshapen hole out like you said would work well if there was more room to work with.  If one of those products you listed like Alumbond or Alumfast that I can pick up at a local store will work, I would rather use that.  I did do some asking around for scrap aluminum but didn't have any luck.

I am thinking I want to take my mast down next year to paint it, so I wouldn't mind some temporary fix for now. I really want to go sailing,

britinusa

Quote from: ChrisW on April 24, 2019, 06:37:26 PM
Quote from: kh3412 on April 16, 2019, 04:54:01 PM
Perhaps you could drill a hole that removes the problem area and install a rubber plug. Then grommet the hole for the wires and seal. We use big rubber plugs on old police cars when taking all the lights and antennas off.

How would one drill a hole that removes the problem area?  I assume you mean to enlargen the ugly hole to make it round so a plug can fit.  I'd be afraid to do that and am not sure how.   It seems like it would have to be a pretty big hole, and there isn't a whole lot of room there. 

BTW, my use of the word "ugly" was to distinguish between the two holes in the picture, not that I am worried about the aesthetics of it.  The only thing I am worried about is water intrusion.

I favor wires in the side of the mast with rain shields to prevent ingress.

If you wanted to drill out the ugly holes into one you could use one of these.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Paul

I fully agree on the side entry, that's how all mine are run, as well as spreader lights w/ drip loops.

I don't know if you ever tried one of those HF bits on a jagged hole but I've found if it's real ugly or the new location is off center (as it would need to be w/ the current hole being right next to the extrusion) the only way to keep them in the right location is clamping the piece onto a drill press.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

ChrisW

I ended up finding a piece of aluminum and bolted it on over the holes along with some silicone sealant.

Thanks everybody for the help.

ChrisW

By the way, the anchor light I bought is apparently ####.  I installed the goddam
thing several times and it will not stay lit but only intermittently. 

It's a Davis LED all around light.  I thought it was my fault for not making a good connection. I installed with a butt connection several times over and over again, then tried soldering it. No luck.  I took it off and powered it directly and the same goddamn thing happened: intermittent shining. It's a piece of ####.

I have another one of a different brand in the mail. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

britinusa

Consider checking the voltage at the lamp.
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

ChrisW

Quote from: britinusa on May 05, 2019, 05:21:35 PM
Consider checking the voltage at the lamp.

Well, I did check the voltage and it was fine. The remote power supply I had was over 15V.  But I hooked it up to my regular battery too back at the dock (sans 50 ft cable) and I got the same result.

I did not, however check voltages internal to the lamp. I wouldn't know how to do that.  Anyways it's on its way to a landfill by now.

Sorry for the cursing, by the way.  This project has been a royal pain in the ass.

Noah

You could always hoist one of these up the mast on a halyard. :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

On the subject of lights, make sure new lights you install are sailboat rated, the powerboat-rated ones don't provide the correct coverage.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Coast-Guard-Nav-Light-Safety-Alert-12583-1.html