Slipping transmission?

Previous topic - Next topic

Breakin Away

My boat is on the hard. While spraying some Barnacle Barrier on my prop, I noticed a lot of resistance in rotating the prop. It would turn, but only with a lot of effort. I climbed into the cockpit, removed the helm cover, and discovered that the transmission had been shifted into forward. (This probably happened when I removed the steering wheel for the winter, or perhaps knocked into it without the protection of the wheel.) After shifting back to neutral, I was able to rotate the prop easily, the only resistance being caused by my cutlass bearing.

But this begs the question: Is my ability to rotate the prop in forward (albeit with quite a bit of resistance) a sign of a problem with my transmission? Prior owner had it rebuilt about 170 hours ago. Is the prop supposed to be fully locked when in forward? Or is there meant to be some frictional movement, which could be why the manual instructs NEVER to sail with the transmission in forward?

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Ron Hill

Breakin : Did you ever considered that - in gear and turning the prop by hand you are also probably turning over the engine!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

Push your cradle really fast and then pop it into gear! :shock: 8)
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 09, 2019, 02:24:16 PM
Breakin : Did you ever considered that - in gear and turning the prop by hand you are also probably turning over the engine!!

A thought
I don’t think I’m that strong. It’s a diesel, after all - compression rate too high. And it was constant resistance, not pulsing like a cylinder.

But if anyone here has turned over their diesel by turning their prop, let me know. Maybe we should arm wrestle!  lol

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

glennd3

If I remember this weekend I will try mine as I am still on the hard, I painted it Saturday and it turned freely so I am assuming it was in neutral. When are you launching over on the eastern shore? We had some boats go in this week.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Breakin Away

Quote from: glennd3 on April 10, 2019, 03:43:24 PM
If I remember this weekend I will try mine as I am still on the hard, I painted it Saturday and it turned freely so I am assuming it was in neutral. When are you launching over on the eastern shore? We had some boats go in this week.
Thanks, that would be great if you could put her in forward and see if you can turn the prop. I have no other way to compare similar boats.

My boat is on the hard on the Delaware River near Philly. I am scheduled to launch at high tide Sunday morning. I was planning to make the 2-day trip to Rock Hall Sun-Mon, but the thunderstorm forecast may delay that.

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Breakin Away on April 10, 2019, 04:02:30 PM
Quote from: glennd3 on April 10, 2019, 03:43:24 PM
Thanks, that would be great if you could put her in forward and see if you can turn the prop. I have no other way to compare similar boats.

My boat is on the hard on the Delaware River near Philly. I am scheduled to launch at high tide Sunday morning. I was planning to make the 2-day trip to Rock Hall Sun-Mon, but the thunderstorm forecast may delay that.

Curious, where do you plan on staying over-nighting?  DE City?  That's where I'm on the hard this year.  If all goes as planned, I'll be doing the 1-day to Worton Creek the last Saturday of April.   I'd check the prop spin but I decouple the shaft while on the hard.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Breakin Away

I've stopped over at Delaware City Marina many times, but usually when heading the other direction. When heading from Essington to Rock Hall, I usually try to make it a little further than Delaware City in my first day. Last year I anchored at Ford Landing in Bohemia River, this year I might stop at Chesapeake City now that they've dredged. A lot depends on wind direction (affects anchorage selection) and how many days delay I may have due to the forecast thunderstorms (since favorable currents though the canal get ~45 minutes later each day).

Breakin Away

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on April 10, 2019, 06:17:23 PM

Curious, where do you plan on staying over-nighting?  DE City?  That's where I'm on the hard this year.  If all goes as planned, I'll be doing the 1-day to Worton Creek the last Saturday of April.   I'd check the prop spin but I decouple the shaft while on the hard.
FYI, I should be at Delaware City Marina in about an hour. I am being towed in because I hit a submerged log and destroyed my pop, and maybe my shaft. Hopefully not the strut. I hope Tim's people do good work, because my options may be limited.

Meanwhile, what folding  prop brand do most people recommend? Also, if I have to replace the shaft, what grade of stainless steel is recommended? I currently have the original bronze shaft.

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Breakin Away on April 14, 2019, 11:46:49 AM
Quote from: Bill Shreeves on April 10, 2019, 06:17:23 PM

FYI, I should be at Delaware City Marina in about an hour. I am being towed in because I hit a submerged log and destroyed my pop, and maybe my shaft. Hopefully not the strut. I hope Tim's people do good work, because my options may be limited.

Meanwhile, what folding  prop brand do most people recommend? Also, if I have to replace the shaft, what grade of stainless steel is recommended? I currently have the original bronze shaft.

So sorry to hear!  I must have just missed you when I left the marina @ 1:45 PM today.  Good luck and lets hope the damage is limited.  I got my SS shaft through Atlantis Prop in Cinnaminson, NJ.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Bill Shreeves

QuoteI hope Tim's people do good work, because my options may be limited.
[/glow]]
QuoteI hope Tim's people do good work, because my options may be limited.
[/glow][/ftp]

I'm assuming your boat won't get pulled until Tuesday.  I'll say this, they're stingy with the stands 2 Delaware City Marina.  The guy that set-up my boat was going to use only 4.  I insisted on no less than 6 and I told him that 2 other yards I've been in used 8 plus a bow stand.

I have no idea how "hands-on" you are but, I didn't find replacing the shaft & prop all that difficult.  Of course, it takes time.  I found the most challenging part to be arranging to borrow the tool to install the cutlass with the shaft in so I didn't have to drop the rudder. I cut the bronze shaft out.   I'll be at the marina Fri & Sat so, maybe we'll bump into each other.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate news. I replaced my old bronze shaft with an Aquamet 22 stainless steel shaft and a 3 blade Flexofold prop. If you need advice on how-to strut replacement email me. Been there done that.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Breakin Away

Thanks for all the condolences and advice. Bill - we missed each other by a few hours. My prior message was posted at 11:46 PDT, or 2:46 EDT.

It's in the hands of the insurance company now. I'm real big into DIY, but since I'm in a foreign yard accumulating daily storage fees, I need to let the pros handle it. Plus, I spend every other week out of town on business, so my progress would be too slow paying transient storage fees. I've got a really good surveyor assigned to my case (I actually tried to hire him for pre-inspection survey when I bought the boat, but he only did insurance work). I've never met him, but I had talked to him over the phone a few years ago and was really impressed. I am very concerned that my shaft or strut may be toast also, since the shaft does not rotate freely with the transmission in neutral (when turning it from below). As you know from my post last week, I could easily rotate the shaft as long as the transmission was in neutral.

My boat was launched this morning from my boat club's DIY yard. Great rates ($400 for haulout, storage, and launch), but I have to supply my own stands, which I bring home during the season. Like Bill, I have EIGHT of them that I bought with my own money. I do think you can get away with four for a short time as long as there are no big storms. But certainly not for a whole winter season.

Dave Skolnick, my go-to guy for most marine advice, suggests Gori or Flex-o-fold props. (I'll do some homework, but for tonight I'm just worn out.) I'd appreciate your advice comparing the two. I may have to go with identical replacement if the insurance situation gets too complicated (if Michigan Props even makes the original Sailer 3 blade prop any more). But I'd consider paying any upgrade costs for folding/feathering. My current 3-blade prop is 15"x9". Should a folding prop be the same pitch, or is there some reason folding props need to be different? Are any of them adjustable, so I could tweak it between seasons if it responds differently from expectations?

Dave Spencer

BA,
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
Here's a good article about folding and feathering props. There are likely others out there but I bookmarked this one.
https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/folding-and-feathering-propeller-test-29807
I have a German made Vari-Prop which the PO installed. I'm quite pleased with it. Forward and reverse pitch are independently variable and it can be adjusted while in the water (although you need your wits about you to do it). I've adjusted mine to optimize forward pitch (ie can achieve max engine rpm) and reverse pitch in an attempt to minimize prop walk.
Vari-Prop is not as common as Max Prop or some others but here is a dealer and service centre nearby in Toronto that I fortunately haven't had to use yet.
Good luck with your repairs.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Bill Shreeves

I have a Michigan Wheel 3-Blade Sailor Prop 15x10 for 2 years now.  I'm very happy with it.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD