Mantus on bow roller

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Laver

I'm considering getting a 35# Mantus as a back-up anchor for my Rocna 15, since the Mantus can be disassembled to be stowed. However, the spade on the Mantus seem to be more angled back than the Rocna, making me wonder if it will sit properly in the anchor roller without jabbing into the gellcoat on the bow. This is the standard roller on a Mk II.

Thanks.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Roc

I have a 35# Mantus on my bow roller and the spade is no problem.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Breakin Away

No problem here either. I have no interest in disassembling mine unless needed for a repair.

Mantus can email you a printable template if you want to check for yourself.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Mick Laver

Thanks guys. I've gone ahead and ordered one (Fisheries Supply in Seattle has them marked down substantially until tomorrow.) I know they're great anchors.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

skyward

Can any of you post pictures of your 35# Mantus on the bow roller? Especially anyone with a MkII era.
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
Tall Mast, Wing Keel, 35# Mantus M-1, M35 Universal
"Skyward", Hull #1307

Mick Laver

Here ya go.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

skyward

Thank you, that looks perfect and exactly how my bow roller looks. I am glad I chose the 35# Mantus now. I assume you have the same windlass as mine (not chain friendly). How does the anchor stay in position?
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
"Skyward", Hull #1307

Mick Laver

Hi Jeff
The Mantus is actually my backup to a Rocna 15kg. Both are great anchors, but since the Mantus can be broken down and stowed conveniently it gets "backup" status. The pictures were taken when I was making sure the Mantus would fit properly. Obviously it does. The way it would be secured is identical to the Rocna which is:
- A length of electrical wire loosely wrapped around the anchor swivel at the aft end of the bow roller
- A 1/4" Wichard chain hook attached to the chain. The hook is on 1/4" Sampson which is looped around the cleat in the anchor locker. The loop is tightened with a rolling hitch.
- The hatch on the anchor locker, if latched, should also help to keep the anchor from getting too frisky. You can close the hatch completely with both the Mantus and the Rocna. Not so with some others I looked at.
- The windlass itself. As a last resort the chain is loosely draped over the chain gypsy. And no, we probably both have the Maxwell VW500 but the original buyer ordered the (now unavailable) combination gypsy/windlass head for the VW500. The gypsy accomodates 1/4" short-link chain.

- Mick
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteI'm considering getting a 35# Mantus as a back-up anchor for my Rocna 15, since the Mantus can be disassembled to be stowed.

I see Mantus is making a new design M2.  No roll bar and a curved shank.  Are you considering this?
https://www.mantusmarine.com/m2-anchor/

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

skyward

Quote from: Mick Laver on November 14, 2020, 05:47:06 PM
Hi Jeff
The Mantus is actually my backup to a Rocna 15kg. Both are great anchors, but since the Mantus can be broken down and stowed conveniently it gets "backup" status. The pictures were taken when I was making sure the Mantus would fit properly. Obviously it does. The way it would be secured is identical to the Rocna which is:
- A length of electrical wire loosely wrapped around the anchor swivel at the aft end of the bow roller
- A 1/4" Wichard chain hook attached to the chain. The hook is on 1/4" Sampson which is looped around the cleat in the anchor locker. The loop is tightened with a rolling hitch.
- The hatch on the anchor locker, if latched, should also help to keep the anchor from getting too frisky. You can close the hatch completely with both the Mantus and the Rocna. Not so with some others I looked at.
- The windlass itself. As a last resort the chain is loosely draped over the chain gypsy. And no, we probably both have the Maxwell VW500 but the original buyer ordered the (now unavailable) combination gypsy/windlass head for the VW500. The gypsy accomodates 1/4" short-link chain.

- Mick

Mick, I picked up the 35# Mantus M-1. I rigged it up (I'm out of the water right now) up on my bow roller with a shackle and a rode for test purposes. When it is installed firmly into the bow roller, it looks just like yours. But I had trouble getting enough momentum or leverage to get it to roll over the roller, because the shank is so long and straight. When the end of the shank gets right up to the roller, then the business end of the shank is getting a force pulling aft from the shackle/rode ad a force vertically down from the anchor. It is a dilemma. Have you seen this?

BTW: You are lucky with that gypsy!
Jeff Lukowski
1996 Catalina 34 MkII
"Skyward", Hull #1307

Rick Roberts

We also got a Mantus on the bow, we used the bigger size bow roller paired with the 45lbs anchor and it fits pretty nicely. The anchor buddy works pretty well, it protects the anchor from rubbing or banging against the hull.

1988 #804, Bria Mia - Mexico (Formerly known as SV Blackdragon)
Fin keel, standard rig.

Youtube channel: youtube.com/wandersailing
Latest Video: patreon.com/wandersailing

Mick Laver

Hi Jeff,
I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about retrieving the anchor? You'll probably just have to do the final pull by yourself, getting the anchor shackle or swivel to the bow roller with the windlass and then pulling the anchor straight up by hand. While the VW500's gypsy will yank the anchor over the bow roller I try to be nice to it and give it some help. It only has a 500# pull.

Quote from: skyward on November 21, 2020, 07:01:17 PM

Mick, I picked up the 35# Mantus M-1. I rigged it up (I'm out of the water right now) up on my bow roller with a shackle and a rode for test purposes. When it is installed firmly into the bow roller, it looks just like yours. But I had trouble getting enough momentum or leverage to get it to roll over the roller, because the shank is so long and straight. When the end of the shank gets right up to the roller, then the business end of the shank is getting a force pulling aft from the shackle/rode ad a force vertically down from the anchor. It is a dilemma. Have you seen this?

BTW: You are lucky with that gypsy!
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Kyle Ewing

For those interested in buying a Mantus anchor, West Marine has them on sale for 25% off through December 24 with free shipping through November 30.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

waughoo

Thats a compelling offer!  I might have to pull the trigger.
Alex - Seattle, WA
91 mk1.5 #1120
Std rig w/wing keel
Universal M35
Belafonte

Roc

I used a Delta Fast Set for years.  I then got the Mantus.  One thing I did notice right off the bat is when retrieving the Mantus, it's dug in so tight, it is much harder to break free than the Delta.  I was very impressed.  Don't get me wrong, the Delta was a good anchor.  But the Mantus really digs in tight.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD