C34 MKII heat exchanger de-scaling and molded hose replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Stone

Heat exchanger for the C34MK II M35B:
I removed the unit and all the hoses this weekend. With covers off, I did see build up and chunks (of what I don't know). Though the condition looks reasonable and now to change the little bleed valve and cover gaskets/ o-rings. I've seen a few YouTubes about de-scaling it with Barnacle Blaster. Anyone have experience with this or other/ better products?

Also it is time (past time) to change the hoses. A few of them are molded and I will  check on where and how much $$ replacements.
Any experience, comments on this topic is appreciated.

I'll do a search on C34.org next, probably should have done that first.

Thanks
Dale
Dale   
Dale Stone 2001 C34 II, Hull #1526, Salem Ma

KWKloeber

RydLime is the safest to use (search forum posts) 
Be ultra careful and use PPE if you descale, especially if you use muriatic.

On the B series the molded hoses - you're basically stuck with Westerbeke, you can order by p/n direct on the website.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Dale : As Ken said "you may be stuck with Westerbeke per formed hoses" for replacements!!

You'll have to make the determination if you have enough space to use your own wire reinforced hose ??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Dale Stone

Thanks Ken and Ron,
I did see RydLyme on the forum and watched a few YouTubes about it. Amazing stuff that works and one guy was melting shells in his bare palm with it. Don't think I'll try that though!

PPE is Personal Protection Equipment, good practice. Going to a nearby Universal/ Westerbeke dealer tomorrow for gaskets and hoses.

Another 2 to 3 months and I will be sailing again. Hope the same or better for you guys.

Thanks
Dale

KWKloeber

The key with RydLyme is to keep the liquid flowing so that it's "refreshed" at the interface with the scale.  Otherwise equilibrium occurs as the liquid at the interface gets "spent."
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Dale Stone

Ok, I have the exchanger apart and was going to soak it in a bucket before assembling it with new gaskets and o-rings. I could agitate the RydLyme while soaking it. Do you think that will be enough?

KWKloeber

Agitating will do wonders to keep fresh solution against the outside, virtual nothing for inside the narrow tubes, right?  So, say you have it vertical in a bucket — you can .....?.... to keep refreshing the solution in the bucket against the inside of the tubes.

Dale Stone

Good idea Ken. The manufacturer had a similar suggestion.

Thanks