Manual bilge pump hose strainer

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

I hear ya Ken, ya never know, like Capt Ron says, "if it's  gonna happen, it'l happen out there", when I put my impeller back in the engine, I'm gonna leave the circa clip off too.as that will only fail coming into traffic.  Probably a ton of other fire drill items some of us are not aware of on our boats until its too late in a emergency
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

KWKloeber

Bob

Additionally put some lanocote or SuperLube gel on the shaft to help keep the impeller from seizing to it. As Randy about that!
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Hey folks- for those that are interested: I was poking around West Marine and found what seems to be the same "strainer" my PO used on my manual bilge pump hose intake. See pics below.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

For what its worth, I rebuilt my manual whale pump the second season on my boat after not having used it but, saw it was time based on the rubber exterior condition.  I was quite surprised when I found one of those soft-sided juice sippy containers in the pump.  I was impressed to learn that it could suck that bad boy right on up.

Since shortly after buying the boat, I started checking my electric bilge pump and level switch for operation & debris etc. when arriving and departing for weekend.  Reason?  A few weeks after buying her, I learned it only worked with the switch on manual.  Seeing the container and discovering it wasn't operating as expected reinforced my commitment to continuing that practice.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Bill,

Yes, but will it suck up an intact Twinkie? :shock::rolling
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

rmbrown

I'm still hung up on the bone dry bilge.  Is that normal?  If it is, I have another puzzle to solve.  I'd guess I always have an inch or so.  I rarely hear the pump cycle but I don't have a counter so I can't say how often it really runs.

If 1990, then it's a keep stepped mast, right?  I blame water in mine on that since my shaft seal is dripless.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

glennd3

I have a 90 and mine is always wet when it rains. If I get it all dry and it does not rain it stays dry. It comes down the mast.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

To clarify:
Bone dry is AFTER I sponge out the little remaining bit of water from electric pump backwash, and occasional So. CA rain down the mast, and any small splash I create ins/outings of triducer. My stuffing box is traditional ,however it is so "dialed in" with GTU and lucky adjustment, that it does not let any measurable. water into the boat, while still keeping running gear cool underway. The boat sits with bone dry bilge otherwise.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Ah... I didn't consider that bit... average rainfall in San Diego is 12 inches a year.  In Washington, NC, where my boat lives, it's 51 inches.  I'll bet that is the driving factor. :D

It might also be the type of electric bilge pump you are running and how much water it leaves behind, but I'm guessing that's dwarfed by the 5x rainfall.
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Paulus

Thanks Noah,
Appreciate the work to put into finding the strainer.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rmbrown on April 01, 2019, 02:09:31 PM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If 1990, then it's a keep stepped mast, right?  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Stepping was a choice back then until the Mark IIs:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1406.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."