Galley Floor Option

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

Today's fiberglass backed vinyl floors offers a much improved option for laying vinyl floor covering. In decades past, vinyl flooring was backed with felt which meant the flooring would quickly curl upward making loose-laying installation undesirable. Another option was shrinking type vinyl which meant that perimeter adhering was required to keep the vinyl from contracting away from the walls and leaving an ugly gap. But, with the latest generation of fiberglass backed products, dimensional stability has been achieved so laying vinyl flooring is much like laying a rug.

My MK1 #299 is beautiful inside but dark. I've removed the teak & holly flooring from the galley and replaced with a nice non-patterned fiberglass backed vinyl. The finish and color appears to be a fine grained marble and it really adds a nice contrast to the darker floors and wood panels in the boat. I used the teak & holly panels for a template which provides for an almost perfect fit. The slight recessed area for the wooden teak & holly flooring keeps the vinyl from slipping and self trims the edges.

The new flooring can be cleaned in place or easily removed and cleaned on the dock if preferred. I usually remove the vinyl flooring when working on the engine just to protect it from nasty oil or grease spills. Of course I've saved the original teak & holly flooring to reinstall someday if preferred.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Ron Hill

Guys : I did the same as James, but used "Loincoin" from Catalina (the same Galley flooring as in the C34 MKII)  Cut it to size from a pattern and placed it right over the T/H flooring - using the same screws to hold it in place! 

Look in the Mainsheet tech notes for my article and pictures.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Stu Jackson

James, looks great, nice work.  Please help me understand how you applied it and applied it to what material?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Noah,  Loincoin is a different product from LonSeal in Cali.

Goofle loincoin flooring.

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Noah

Ken-I believe it is same parent company.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Yes go to the lonseal website and under marine flooring there's the "wood" and also photos of several of the coin flooring.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Hugh17

Quote from: Stu Jackson on February 18, 2019, 05:26:02 PM
James, looks great, nice work.  Please help me understand how you applied it and applied it to what material?

The material I used is inexpensive sheet vinyl from HD. Link below. The vinyl is rolled out and laid in place. It's applied directly over the fiberglass sole. It doesn't move because the area is slightly recessed to receive the plywood teak & holly flooring. No adhesive is used.

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing.

Limestone Slab Beige 12 ft. Wide x Your Choice Length Residential Vinyl Sheet

https://www.homedepot.com/p/300866858
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

Ron Hill

Noah : I have no idea if it is the same company or not.
It has that "diamond" raised pattern and is not slippery when wet.  Cut it with a sheet metal shears.  Easy to install.  Like I said I put it right over the Teak/Holly flooring. I used the same screws w/small finishing washers into the same holes.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Hugh17

Quote from: Ron Hill on February 19, 2019, 02:31:50 PM
Noah : I have no idea if it is the same company or not.
It has that "diamond" raised pattern and is not slippery when wet.  Cut it with a sheet metal shears.  Easy to install.  Like I said I put it right over the Teak/Holly flooring. I used the same screws w/small finishing washers into the same holes.

A few thoughts

There are commercially rated floors by Lonseal and others if you want a synthetic teak and holly look. What I used was an inexpensive fiberglass backed vinyl. I have $20 in the material.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

George Bean

I need to replace the loincoin on my MkII boat.  Ron, Can you tell me the year (and month) of your tech notes article?  I cannot get my search function to work.  I'm nervous about this as a DIY project as my local "premium" yard (KKMI) wouldn't quote the job and suggested I call Catalina instead.
George Bean
s/v Freya  1476

Ron Hill

George : I believe my Loincoin Galley floor article is in late 2004 or 2005 ?

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

George : Rather than spending time looking for my Mainsheet tech note article, just let me say it all was VERY easy to complete.

I got a piece of Loincoin (light tan diamond pattern) from Catalina parts.  I pulled the old Teak and Holley sole piece out of the galley. What had happened was I had a spot in that original piece that was delaminating and that spot was in the middle??? so I couldn't get at it to repair.

All I did was cut a piece of the Loincoin using that Teak & Holley piece as the pattern. It cut easily with a tin snips.  When I put it down I found that it was too thin and sat down in the floor well so I reinstalled the Teak & Holley and installed the Loincoin over the top.  I used the same screws and same holes as before.  The height was just right and it did now create a trip hazard!! 

I was done in less than 2 hours!!  It's an easy do it yourself project.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788