1990 c34 & Patches' weblog

Previous topic - Next topic

scgunner

davo,

The boat has been on the market for two years, who knows how long it sat before the owner decided he wasn't using it and decided to sell it. This is a project boat which is OK if that's what you're looking for, with that in mind it should be considerably cheaper than a boat in sail away condition, considerably cheaper!

There are lots of C34s in Florida unless you are looking for a project I'd take a pass on this one. If you're looking for a sail away boat(it sounds like you are)find someone who's moving up to a bigger boat(preferably a Catalina). People who move up do so generally because they've used the boat a lot and they have outgrown their current boat. Example, a friend on my dock had a C36 and just moved up to a stunningly beautiful C380. He had owned his C36 for years(I raced against him in the '90s)it was well used and well cared for, and when it went on the market it was reasonably priced and sold almost immediately. I've been aboard that C36 and the biggest problem the new owner is going to have is what color to choose for the towels and pillows.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

glennd3

If you can find out how many previous owners the boat has had. With a 30 year old boat i would rather have one with a few owners than many. I think that if the boat was/is documented you can do a title search with coast guard.

Glenn
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

KWKloeber

Quote from: davo on February 06, 2019, 05:54:57 PM

Hi,
I haven't seen the boat yet I'm going by photos

share the pix?

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

DaveBMusik

Quote from: Patches on February 07, 2019, 07:48:03 AM
Davo:

I noticed that the survey said "rust streak noted as coming from keel stub/keel area."  Major red flag.  When I asked the broker about this, he threw up his hands and said "Catalina smile, they all are like that!" 

Patches

While I agree with much of what Patches said, the keel/hull issue, while a sizeable job should not be a deal breaker. I had my keel dropped, keel bolts inspected and rebedded for around $1400.

Dave
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Stu Jackson

I put a link to a keel drop rebed in the 101 Topics.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."