Replacement Circuit Breakers

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

I need replacement 20 amp circuit breakers E-T-A models 45-700-SIO-DD and found this old post below. I've sent a message to Allied as suggested in the old post. Has anyone replaced these circuit breakers and know if this is still a good source? Also, is there another circuit breaker that will work in the panel?

"In a previous post I made reference to replacements for the push/push thermal circuit breakers [ E-T-A models 45-700-SIO-DD ] found in all of the older C34 electrical panels. Having now had to deal with that subject in more detail   :( I can refine that information a little.

For all of the thermal E-T-A circuit breakers of 25 amps and less, the current root part number is 2-5700-iG1-K10-DD, and they are available from Digikey [ www.digikey.com ] or Allied Electronics [ www.alliedelec.com ]. All versions run about $18 plus shipping.

Since the current E-T-A series no longer includes a 30 amp variant, a usable replacement that will fit the existing hole, has screw terminals, but does not include the push/push function ( but can still be turned OFF by pulling the shaft outward ) is Tyco Electronics ( P&B to those who remember...) W23 series. The 30 amp version part number is W23-X1A1G-30 and is available from Allied Electronics or Mouser Electronics [ www.mouser.com ]. This part is about $20 plus shipping.
Regards, John"

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

KWKloeber

Jim

It appears that the 45-700s are available on ebay, maybe Amazon and some marine suppliers.
What amperage?

On the older post, looking for 30a push-to-release/push-to-reset actuation, why couldn't E-T-A p/n 2-5700-IG1-K10-DD-30A work? 
It has screw terminals rather than quick-disconnect (or as I say, quick-corrode-and/or-loosen-and-fall-off) blade terminals.  Amazon also has ETA breakers.

JTSO, but if I had my 'druthers, all marine switches and breakers should be screw terminals, no quick-fall-off terminals allowed (DC or AC.)

For higher loads, the screw is probably certified, but not the blade terminals, so NLA on the blade style breakers. 
Unless my life depended on it, I wouldn't use a quick-disconnect blade terminal for a high-amp load unless the female side was a Delphi Packard 56 spring-loaded terminal.  Hey, come to think of it, my life does depend on it.

High load is inviting a failure (that's what happened with the engine harness "quick disconnect" barrel terminals inside the Gummy Bear plugs.)

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Whoops, I see 20 amp.  Missed that.  Looks like only the lower amp is available on eBay.

Could you use the 2-5700 series?  You just need a push-disengage/push-reset 20a breaker?

[EDIT}
They show this (2-5700) as a substitute for your 45-700.
https://www.fpmarine.com/Pushbutton-circuit-breaker-for-12-volt-electrical-p/2-5700-ig1-p10-xx.htm

But who knows if they actually stock them?

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Paulus

You might try Torresen in Muskegon.  The # 1 231 759 8596  If you call them, ask to be put through to the shop.  They have them in the shop but not the store.  Not sure about price.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Ekutney

I followed the link Ken previously provided & found the following:

https://www.fpmarine.com/Pushbutton-circuit-breaker-for-12-volt-electrical-p/2-5700-ig1-k10-xx-screw.htm

It is the same part number as the picture of the circuit breaker Catalina Direct sells for over $40, the price shown on the link is under $20.  Have not checked yet on availability.

I have an older version of the same AC breaker for my Water Heater, it is convenient to be able to turn it off & does not require panel modification like a switch breaker would require.  I used a push to reset for my AC unit & it was not able to be switched off, that would be very convenient.

I plan to order for my AC unit & Battery Charger so they can be hard wired, the holes are already I  my Power Panel for the additional breakers.

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Ekutney

Found the following source for the circuit breaker, still under $25 & easy to get with Amazon.

E-T-A Circuit Protection and Control 2-5700-IG1-K10-DD-20A , Circuit Breaker; Therm; Push; Cur-Rtg 20A; Panel; 1 Pole; Vol-Rtg 250/28VAC/VDC
by DISCOUNTLAND
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DECXBA2/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_UV4pCb8MFEYWX

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Hugh17

Thanks everyone who responded and made suggestions. To summarize, the old part number is for the ETA circuit breaker is 45-700-S10-DD 20 amp with the screw terminals. The replacement part number is 2-5700-IG1-K10-DD-20A. This was confirmed by several suppliers suggested.

Catalina Direct is $43.22. Allied is $18.10. FP Marine is $18.11. Custom Marine Service is $18.95 for 2 to 4 units. I decided to go with Custom Marine because Dan (see contact information below) was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful on the phone. I was concerned about the new part number matching and also about the screw connectors. Dan said he's been doing this since the mid-1970s and was very familiar with the circuit breaker. I like to reward good personal customer service. 

CUSTOM MARINE SERVICES
Dan Thibault - Tech Sales
Custom Marine Services - Sc
1250 Trent Drive
Murrells Inlet, Sc. 29576
Cell - Text: 843-230-3536
Email: sales@cmsquick.com
Sales Policy: www.cmsquick.com/salespolicy.html

ALLIED
https://www.alliedelec.com/e-t-a-circuit-protection-and-control-2-5700-ig1-k10-dd-20a/70128882/

FP MARINE
https://www.fpmarine.com/Pushbutton-circuit-breaker-for-12-volt-electrical-p/2-5700-ig1-k10-xx-screw.htm

James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25

KWKloeber

Jim

Dontcha LOVE ❤️ it when a plan comes together that easily!! 👍🏻

Hugh17

Quote from: Paulus on January 16, 2019, 05:12:22 AM
You might try Torresen in Muskegon.  The # 1 231 759 8596  If you call them, ask to be put through to the shop.  They have them in the shop but not the store.  Not sure about price.
Paul

Paul, I wanted to acknowledge your suggestion of Torresen, but I didn't contact them. I had already shopped the part with 4 sources and after speaking with Dan at Custom Marine I was so satisfied with his explanation I was sold and ready to make the purchase. I do appreciate your help.
James
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Universal M25