Alternator/Raw Water Pump Impeller Screw Head

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

Since I installed a higher output alternator and external voltage regulator,  and I'm tweaking the belt manager setting,  I cleaned up and looked for belt dust.   I found some but quickly realized that it was due to the edge of the belt touching the head of one of the three cap screws holding the impeller cover in place.

I found a relatively thick lock washer under all three.  The parts diagram for the M35AC shows the thinner star type in use.   If I remove the existing lock washer,  I have clearance but I'm wondering if mine is the only one this close?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

rmbrown

Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

A bit off your question but curious, what size alternator and why do think you need to use Belt Manager on your M35?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

Mainesail's recommendation based on limitations of the single 3/8" v belt and a desire not to overwork the 105A alternator I purchased from him when charging my 3 GC12 house bank when at 50% SOC.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Ron Hill

Mike : Hard to tell from the picture, but is the belt too loose? and whipping?
Or is the belt out of alignment?   

Don't believe that it has anything to do with the "Belt Manager" in the regulator setting.

A few thoughts 
Ron, Apache #788

rmbrown

Definitely not too loose and whipping or out of alignment.   I'm confident in the first because I just tensioner the belt as per Gates specs,  ran the engine for 30 minutes and retensioned using my tension gauge.   Confident in the alignment since I just spent hours measuring and adjusting when installing the alternator.

What you see there in the clearance after I removed the lock washer under that screw head. It was a little thicker than the gap you see now, causing the belt to rub the screw head. 

This isn't a new problem introduced by the new alternator or belt,  just something I felt needed resolution.

I'm watching for belt dust to determine if I'm overworking the belt and understand that belt manager has nothing to do with this immediate problem.  It's just why I'm looking close enough to notice the issue.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

scgunner

Mike,

Looks like you've gotten some clearance by removing the lock washer. You can also gain a little more clearance by grinding about a 1/16" off the top of the bolt and polish it without affecting the bolt's integrity.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273