Oil pressure switch for Universal M35B

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Fisher

Can anyone help me out with a Kubota part Number ( or other equivalent part No.) for the double prong oil pressure switch that is used on the M35B engine?  The Universal/Westerbeke part number is 37323. Sourcing the Westerbeke part is very expensive from Australia, as it involves high shipping costs (on top of the inflated Westerbeke prices). Kubota parts are a much-preferred local alternative. Many thanks for your help.
Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

KWKloeber

There is no Kb switch. That type switch isn't used on the Kb tractor and other engines.

I have tried for 5 years without luck to source a substitute. The problem is that places like Autozone carry two prong switches, but their specifications are hard to determine. The supplier (Wells) typically doesn't list the specs of OEM switches. For instance, a Chevy part number xyz might work, but I can't get the specs.

I've looked at dozens of Wells switches but when I called Wells about a specific one the techies said they had no way of confirming any characteristic that wasn't already listed in their catalog. 

If you can find one the specs are:

1/8" NPT thread
Normally open circuit
Closes about 5 psi.

It's a 2-terminal because it doesn't close a circuit to engine ground. The circuit powers the fuel pump and is completely isolated.

I have been long interested in figuring out a way to easily switch the wiring to eliminate the fuel pump shutoff and revert to the "old type" switch (that is normally closed  and opens about 5 psi.)

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

I did a little more lookin' for yah.....

You could try this one, it's the only one I found that's close.

A wells PS114, same as Duralast PS114

PS114 1/8-27 NPTF Dryseal Normally Open- Closes 2-8 PSI

The Wells website catalog is currently down, but here's what it looks like:
https://www.autozone.com/internal-engine/oil-pressure-switch/duralast-oil-pressure-switch/123513_30261_8537#
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ross Fisher

Many thanks for your research and advice, Ken. I'll certainly follow this up.
Ross
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Ross Fisher

A belated thanks, Ken. After a little further research, I discovered that Westerbeke has an agent in Australia. Pricey, but not prohibitive! Job done!!
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

KWKloeber

Thanks Ross

Glad that it worked out, but darnit I was hoping a guinea pig would find out if those aftermarket switches will work!  :D :shock:

-k