3D Printing, port trim rings

Previous topic - Next topic

glennd3

I am looking into using 3D printing to make the trim rings for my ports that are no longer available. My son is attending the local university and has friends that are computer majors. They are checking to see if I give them one for a template if they can make it by 3D printers. I fear I will have to buy a lot of beer.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Jim Hardesty

Please let us know how you make out.  Our local library has a 3d printer and I've put it in the back of my mind for hard to find boat parts.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ekutney

Go Glenn.

I've worked with 3D printing % it can produce some amazing finished parts made from a number of materials.
Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

glennd3

I have blown off the college kids as they were no help. I visited a 3d printing company today and they put me in contact with a company that can scan the frames and make a "cad" file. I then can take that file to the printing company and they can print the frame. I am taking the frame to the "file" company tomorrow  to see how much that will cost,hopefully not too much. I am thinking that once I have the file I can donate to this site for anyone that needs it, they would merely have to take the file to their local printer. 
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

A CAD file would be very helpful if someone wanted to make a mold to vacuum form (original method) these too. Good luck on your search for the Holy Grail (Lemar Old Standard trim rings).  I gave up some years ago and bought new Lewmar replacement ports.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

glennd3

Well this is what I found, 200$ to scan and make file. The real deal breaker is that to print each frame would be about $150. Maybe in five years it will be cheaper. I did learn they can do a lot of cool things with these printers.
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Same upfront $ story with vacuum forming however lots cheaper per unit (if you want to buy 50+ units). As I said, the "Holy Grail". Meanwhile, new-style replacement ports are approx. $200 ea. without any discounts one might have/find.
https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/product/LEW393120200.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoI2qztKg3wIVF9VkCh0EkQNMEAQYASABEgKf4_D_BwE
Standard Rig

glennd3

The way you went makes the most sense, even the screen is included. Did you replace all six?
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Roland Gendreau

There is a gentleman in BC that used 3d printing to make me a set of gears for my autohelm.  The gears are no longer available from Raymarine.   I lost a couple of them when I disassembled the unit (long story).  He also makes (via 3d printing) and sells other parts for the autohelm (like the actuating lever) on Ebay.

His name is Rick Wallace <r.wallace@i3dgear.com>
Drop him an email and see if he can help you out.

Roland Gendreau

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Noah

Yep, new ports are a better way to go.  However a caveat, which I have posted prior. Beware of the "false latch". The  New Standard  design ports have a different latching system that, if you are not diligent/paying attention to when latching, could appear to be secured, but are not, just closed—and will leak.  This is particularliy a problem if reaching across the salon table to close. You must push on the portlight as you latch it, to make sure it is truly closed and the latch is engaged.
Standard Rig

csimmerling

I do a fair amount of 3D printing and I've made a few parts for my C34 (like a cover for the autohelm). How large is your print? If it fits in my printer I wouldn't mind trying to print it and mail it to you.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

glennd3

Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

Noah

Those are for size "0" not size "1"
Standard Rig

csimmerling

Glenn- no I don't have a way to scan the frame unfortunately. If someone has object files I'd be happy to help with printing though.
"Natterling", #148 1986 mk 1 fin keel std rig, Port Jefferson, NY