Shade of smoke plexiglass for fixed cabin windows

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh17

I've plowed through most of the message threads and TechWiki posts on replacing the fixed cabin windows but what I haven't found is a mention of the exact shade of smoked Plexiglas. Does anyone know? If necessary I can order some samples and try to match as close as possible.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25

Ron Hill

Jim : Why not ask that question of Catalina @ 727-544-6681 (Warren Tandy)!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

sailr4

I took the old window to glass shop and asked to duplicate.

Rob
Rob Fowler,1989 C34 #889 Tall/Wing, M25XP - No Worries, Coronado, CA

I'd rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks, than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

scgunner

James,

When I replaced the windows on Top Gun I just found a plexiglass manufacturer on the internet. They sent me samples of the different shades of their plexiglass and I just ordered the one that matched the existing windows. I used the originals as a template and just cut and installed the new windows. It was rather involved but fairly simple. I assume you want to replace your windows, like me, because of the crazing.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

Kevin - how did you cut the bevels in the new acrylic?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Noah,

No bevels, the windows are straight cut on the Mk1, at least on my Mk1.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

That seems unsual to me. My undertanding is that all C34 OEM fixed side portslights/windows have a beveled edge. Mine do.There is a factory drawing in the tech wiki.
http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Instructions_for_replacing_large_fixed_side_windows
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Well that's interesting, it certainly shows beveled windows. It's been a few years since I replaced my windows but I don't recall having to bevel the windows before installation, however if I did, based on the equipment I have in my shop I would have used a router with a 45 degree bit to make that cut.

oldcatsailor

When my port window above the chart met an anchor and lost called Catalina they had replacement sent from their manufacturer cost about 85$
Dow 495 sealant and no leaks 4 years 1990 mk1.5
Sail 1064 Tr wing keel 1990/

Hugh17

What's the thoughts on Plexiglass/Acrylic versus Lexan/Polycarbonate? I've read on some other discussion groups and there seems to be a split opinion on which is best.
James H. Newsome
s/v CaiLeigh Anna
Catalina 34 MKI Hull #299
Universal M25