Winter Sailing

Previous topic - Next topic

Switchback

Hello sailors!

I live on my Catalina in Massachusetts and desperately want to get out sailing this winter. Unfortunately my marina doesn't allow boats to leave the dock during the winter season. Boats and docks are tied together for storm safety. My question is, do any of you sail in New England during the winter months and would you mind having an extra crew member aboard (or know anyone else)? I am a novice sailor but I know the basics and am safety conscious. Let me know if you plan to sail this winter and need some crew!  :D
S/V Switchback

Roc

Are you sure you want to be out on the water in the winter?  Wind chill and cold water spraying at you does not sound like fun.  If you have the urge to sail over the winter, go on a BVI charter! 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Switchback

Winter is my favorite season. I have experience on other vessels during winter, the challenge and adventure is appealing to me. I also do not have the means to charter in the BVIs so I take what I can get!  :santa
S/V Switchback

Bobg

3 years ago in May we had a lot of icebergs in the apostle islands, went with a friend on his boat dodging the bergs, or floating ice sheets, was a lot of fun, I can see where it would be a rush, OK, been there and done that, now its the BVI's or close to it for me from now on.  Something about beating the elements does appeal to some, , wow living on your boat in the winter must be challenging, What do you use for a heater, I know the boats aren't insulated well, I've stayed on my boat occasionally in the winter with a 1500 watt electric heater,  never did get too warm, good luck get out there and have fun my friend, winter is long and life is short.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Switchback

Quote from: Bobg on November 28, 2018, 11:43:08 AM
3 years ago in May we had a lot of icebergs in the apostle islands, went with a friend on his boat dodging the bergs, or floating ice sheets, was a lot of fun, I can see where it would be a rush, OK, been there and done that, now its the BVI's or close to it for me from now on.  Something about beating the elements does appeal to some, , wow living on your boat in the winter must be challenging, What do you use for a heater, I know the boats aren't insulated well, I've stayed on my boat occasionally in the winter with a 1500 watt electric heater,  never did get too warm, good luck get out there and have fun my friend, winter is long and life is short.

Hey Bobg, sounds like you had a blast! I'm glad you got to experience that! This is my first winter aboard (not to mention first few months ever living aboard), and so far so good! We are using a 1500 watt Dr. Heater and it is working quite well. I will eventually be installing a Newport Dickenson diesel heater as the primary source of heat but even without that it is warmer than my apartment was! We put up insulation over the portholes and other various locations on the boat and we are shrink wrapped. We live in a large marina popular for liveaboards and especially for winter liveaboards due to it's well protected surroundings. There are about 150 liveaboard boats here right now. Anyway, I'm young and as such I want to take advantage of that and get out sailing in all conditions whilst I'm still able to be "reckless"! At some point I plan on picking up a bluewater boat and sailing around the world so I am trying to jump at any opportunity to learn to sail in any kind of weather/season.
S/V Switchback

Ron Hill

Switch : Often thought that  in the winter, besides a heater (electric or diesel) the other necessary item is a dehumidifier.
In the late fall here in the Chesapeake I've seen the moisture on the inside of the cabin walls!!  :cry:

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Kaplan

Are you in Constitution Marina in Charlestown, only marina fully protected. My boat summers in Salem Harbor, now covered and put away for the winter at Liberty Marina in Danversport.  As for winter sailing, I don't even want to go outside, never mind on the ocean. In the past, I have know a few live aboards there, and when a major storm comes in, they sought shelter at area hotels. Good luck, stay safe and warm....Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Switchback

Ron, you're right the humidity is definitely a concern. We have dehumidifying thingies placed around the boat which seem to be working pretty well so far. Hopefully they hold up in the coming months!

Jeff, yes we're in Constitution marina! We actually lived on the mooring for Sept-Oct in Salem harbor right next to day marker 23. That was a beautiful place but extremely exposed to winds from the North East as I am sure you are well aware! That made it interesting taking the dinghy in and out to get to work and back. We're very happy to be in Constitution now and no longer have to worry about the frigid early morning dinghy rides in bad weather!
S/V Switchback

Noah

Even in sunny San Diego (except today, where we are experiencing rain and 30 kts!?!?!) I run a $80(+/-) EvaDry 2200 dehumidifier. Works great! Nearly silent and keeps boat bone dry. I modified its plastic collection tray by drilling, and gluing a small hose barb with clear fish tank-style tubing that drains the water into the sink to keep it running 24/7 unattended.

https://blueearthsustainable.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-edv-2200-2-pint-mini-dehumidifier-dl-ed-2200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyujb3aL63gIV7R-tBh1sJQBpEAQYAiABEgLoO_D_BwE
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Switchback

Quote from: Noah on November 29, 2018, 10:42:30 AM
Even in sunny San Diego (except today, where we are experiencing rain and 30 kts!?!?!) I run a $80(+/-) EvaDry 2200 dehumidifier. Works great! Nearly silent and keeps boat bone dry. I modified its plastic collection tray by drilling, and gluing a small hose barb with clear fish tank-style tubing that drains the water into the sink to keep it running 24/7 unattended.

https://blueearthsustainable.com/dehumidifiers/eva-dry-edv-2200-2-pint-mini-dehumidifier-dl-ed-2200?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyujb3aL63gIV7R-tBh1sJQBpEAQYAiABEgLoO_D_BwE

Thanks Noah! I'll be sure to check that out!
S/V Switchback

Jeff Kaplan

switchback, you were right next to my boat this summer, and yes, the wind from the northeast can be brutal. I used to be at Winter Island and got to my boat via dingy and several times we couldn't get out to boat and once capsized trying to get to her. Oh well, stay warm
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ed Shankle

Switch,
If you are in Charleston, then you should check out the fleet that is in the vicinity, ( Boston Sailing Center maybe?). They sail all winter. I always see them out on the weekends whenever I'm in Boston. I'll bet you could catch on as crew.

Regards,
Ed

Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

Switchback

Quote from: Jeff Kaplan on November 29, 2018, 04:48:26 PM
switchback, you were right next to my boat this summer, and yes, the wind from the northeast can be brutal. I used to be at Winter Island and got to my boat via dingy and several times we couldn't get out to boat and once capsized trying to get to her. Oh well, stay warm

Yikes! Hopefully we will see you out on the water next summer! We will certainly be visiting Salem regularly!
S/V Switchback

Switchback

Quote from: Ed Shankle on December 02, 2018, 03:51:38 AM
Switch,
If you are in Charleston, then you should check out the fleet that is in the vicinity, ( Boston Sailing Center maybe?). They sail all winter. I always see them out on the weekends whenever I'm in Boston. I'll bet you could catch on as crew.

Regards,
Ed

Ed,

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely be checking them out! :)
S/V Switchback

Jim Hardesty

Another thought is hard water sailing.  Possibly you could find a place where they do ice-boating.  Very fast and close to the water/ice.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA