Transmission replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

Our rudder had that same crack this year and I was able to repair it.   After grinding out the crack to metal the area was ground back to a good taper I laid in layers of glass starting narrow and ending up wrapping the full length of the taper.   The results looked good and I hope strong.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

kh3412

Had thought about repairing but have the old style rudder and think I can take care of two issues at once.
Hope your repair stands the test of time :thumb:
1987 mk1 a work in progress #618

kh3412

Look what showed up :clap :clap :clap

kh3412

Been busy while waiting for rudder, ground keel down and faired. The keel had what I will guess is electrolysis corrosion. Put 3 layers of biaxial on the joint, faired, and barrier coated.
Filled the void by the new strut and barrier coated.
The rudder will go in come spring as the lifts are all tied up pulling boats for the winter.

glennd3

I am going to say it again, you do beautiful work!
Glenn Davis
Knot Yet
1990 Catalina 34 Mk 1.5
Hull 1053
TR/WK
M25XP
Patapsco River
Chesapeake Bay Maryland

kh3412

Well exciting week.
Boat is finally in the water.
Close to two years later, I launched the boat this week in spite of all the effort to screw it up.
Finished the dc rewire and made an appointment for launch last Thursday. Thinking I can tackle the ac side in the water.
So getting ready for launch and decided to check the trans to see if needs oil. Found out they had shipped it dry.
Not wanting to make a mess thought of different ways to fill it and came up with using a meat syringe.
This worked perfect, controlled amounts, a little at a time, checking all along. Then as I was just giving it the last little to land me on the full line
the tip came off the syringe and fell to the bottom :cry4`
After some discussion abouts options walked over to office and cancelled my launch.
Well after being talked out of using firearms I started the task of removing the transmission-1:00pm
Fought it out in about 4 hours doing it without removing any wires or hoses just the exhaust-5:00pm
Removed the side cover for shifter and the piece fell out-5:07pm
Reinstalled all that was removed-7:20pm
Drank much beer-1:00am
So a two year project to replace the tranny should have taken 7 hours.
It was the extras that killed the job, new shaft, new rear water tank, new fuel tank, new strut and bearing, new motor mounts, crack in hull by strut, new rudder and refinish the keel.
So again thanks to all as this site is an invaluable resource.
And yes they launched me after much ribbing.

kh3412

Some more pictures

KWKloeber

Quote from: kh3412 on June 21, 2020, 02:25:57 PM

Not wanting to make a mess thought of different ways to fill it and came up with using a meat syringe.
This worked perfect, controlled amounts, a little at a time, checking all along.

KH

NICE mechanical rework job.  KUDOS. Looks great!

Don't know if this will help you w/ the next oil change job but here's the 'Lalgene" trick I came up with no a drips, no runs, no errors fluid refill (if you kept track of how thirsty she was):

https://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,8828.msg63403.html#msg63403

-k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain