Instruments - not recognizing speed

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Hibbs

Upgraded to Raymarine i50 speed/depth, i60 wind and p70 autopilot a few years ago.  For the past two summers, over a period of several weeks, boat speed is not recognized (shows zero) which obviously impacts calculation/display of true wind.  Happens mid-season with no warning.  After several weeks, speed will be back and all instruments working normally.  Pulled transducer, no obstruction.  A nuisance more than anything else, but I'd like to find the reason/a solution.
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

MarcZ

How is your speed transducer connected to the network?
93 C34 Mk 1.5 #1258 TR WK M35
Upper Chesapeake

John Langford

I had the same problem a few years ago. Thought it was the transducer itself but it turned out that it was the electrical connection. There was a Raymarine connector at the bottom the of the binnacle tube that needed a bit of contact cleaner spray. Problem solved.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Scott Hibbs

MarcZ, transducer is connected via Raymarine iTC-5 converter to the SeaTalk backbone/instruments. 

John, I suspected a connection issue and found none in the NavPod.  Did not venture down the binnacle tube - I will take a look next time at the boat.  Thanks for the suggestion - hope it's as easily resolved as it was on your end.
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

MarcZ

My depth did something similar - these are steps that made my problem go away:
1) Firmware update on iTC-5
2) Resitting all small blade connectors from the transducer

How about your depth is it also connected via   iTC and working when speed is out ?
Upper Chesapeake

Scott Hibbs

Yes, depth also connected. No issues. Any challenges/concerns with the firmware update?
Scott Hibbs
"Escape Hatch"
2004 MK II, #1679, M-35B
Northport, MI

MarcZ

Raymarine has decent guide on the web. I would stress requirement of constant, clean and reliable power when running upgrade ! ( No engine starting , fridge off etc.  )

Upper Chesapeake

Mick Laver

Scott,
Whenever my speed stops working it's always because the transducer is fouled. You mentioned that you pulled it and didn't find any obstruction, but did you actually spin the paddlewheel to verify it was working? I know this requires two people, but that would certainly tell you if it was a network issue or not. I've had my paddlewheel look clean and still not spin freely. I wound up just replacing the pin and the wheel after the umpteenth cleaning.

I know this seems simple-minded, but sometimes simple is best. If all the networking has been OK for several years it's hard to imagine why it would suddenly flake on you.
Mick and Sherrie Laver
CINNAMON
1999 C34 Mk II #1432
San Diego, CA

Jim Hardesty

QuoteWhenever my speed stops working it's always because the transducer is fouled.

That's my experience also.  If I stay in Lake Erie the second week of August most years I need to pull the transducer and clean it.  Often the paddle wheel will spin when taken out only to stop soon after putting back, now I remove the paddle wheel and make sure everything is clean. Thats always worked for me.  Have dived on it and cleaned from the outside, only worked for a short time.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Roc

My paddle wheel will foul up just enough in a couple weeks to make it inoperable.  I got tired of always pulling it out and cleaning it, so I just keep the plug in.  I've been waiting for the price to come down on the speed transducers that monitor speed without the paddle wheel, but last time I looked, those transducers are several hundred dollars.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD