blower vent cowl's

Previous topic - Next topic

mdidomenico

last followup.  the polishing seems to have gone semi-well.  i'm no pro, so there's some scratches, but it's polished enough for me.  i definitely like the bronze look more then the chrome.  so stripping the chrome was a good call (at least for me)
1989 Cat34 #856, original m-25xp

Noah

Interesting approach however, I will guess they will oxidize and turn green in a few weeks once installed.  That is the reason bronze hardware is chrome plated.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

I like it!

mine need doing - just the two blower vent cowls.

Did you make a template to put around the installed fittings so that you can polish them (like the Button Polishing brass plates we used in the military (early 60s)

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

mdid : Try spraying some clear gloss polyurethane varnish one them.  That's what I do to all my brass to keep it from oxidizing and corroding.

A thought

Ron, Apache #788

mdidomenico

Quote from: Noah on May 25, 2019, 06:47:29 PM
Interesting approach however, I will guess they will oxidize and turn green in a few weeks once installed.  That is the reason bronze hardware is chrome plated.

i actually like that green patina look more then the chrome everything look.  i also like how i can polish up bronze with a little brasso in 2 mins

mdidomenico

Quote from: britinusa on May 26, 2019, 07:44:32 AM
mine need doing - just the two blower vent cowls.
Did you make a template to put around the installed fittings so that you can polish them (like the Button Polishing brass plates we used in the military (early 60s)

i'm presuming you mean, template around the fitting as if it were still installed on the boat.  the answer is no.  my vents were leaking, so i've pulled them from the boat, cleaned up the holes and will reseal with butyl.  since they're off it was no big deal to throw them against a buffing wheel.  took maybe two hours for all the parts i have

Noah

I believe he is talking about a shield to go around them when you polish them (which you will need to do continually unless coated) to keep polish debris/stains off the gelcoat and deck nonskid. The shields (templates) are removed after polishing. I assume in the case of brass buttons, that keeps the uniform coat's fabric clean.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

britinusa

Same concept as this device. Placed around a button while applying brasso  - keeps it off the uniform.

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP