Adjusting throttle cable

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I used to be able to reach 2900 rpm, but recently the throttle control on my 1999 Mk II M35B is hitting the binnacle stainless steel support tube at about 2500rpm. It feels like there is slack in the cable as I push it forward.  The cable is as tight as it can get at the engine end. Before opening up the binnacle, I would like to know if it is possible to adjust the throttle cable tension at that end. Does anyone knowing that is the case and, if so, how the adjustment is made?
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

KWKloeber

Adjust it at the engine end. A customer had to fabricate a new bracket (extension) so he could relocate the cable clamp on the transmission shift cable - might need to do the same on the speed cable.
Or you may need to replace it.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

scgunner

John,

Why not advance the throttle control full forward then on the motor side of the cable disconnect it from the throttle lever, if you can still advance the throttle lever it indicates the cable is in need of adjustment.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

John Langford

Thanks both. I have adjusted the threaded fitting at the engine end until it was impossible to shorten the cable any further. When I hit the helm throttle control hits the binnacle tube, the throttle can still be advanced further. If no further adjustment is possible at the helm, it might be possible to move the cable clamp aft by drilling new holes in the plate on the engine to which the cable clamp is fastened. I am assuming that aft is the direction I need to go to allow the Morris control to access the extra throttle 'room'.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

KWKloeber

Quote from: KWKloeber on October 09, 2018, 08:29:38 PM

A customer had to fabricate a new bracket (extension) so he could relocate the cable clamp on the transmission shift cable - might need to do the same on the speed cable.

I don't have a pic but he made it out of alum angle so it had enuf stiffness.  Even drilling a new hole on the exist bracket didn't provide the correct position. 
Or a new cable isn't a bank breaker.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

John Langford

Fixed the problem by disconnecting the throttle lever from the forked fitting at the binnacle end of the throttle cable, unscrewing the forked fitting from the end of the cable, drilling two holes about 1/2" further down the fork for the clevis pin and reattaching the fitting to the throttle lever on the binnacle. This had the effective of shortening the cable and thus allowing the throttle control  to provide the full power of the engine if required. More details available if anyone is interested. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Now back to the problem of my tempermental alarm switch...
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Anil Tewari

Quote from: John Langford on October 15, 2018, 10:28:32 PM
Fixed the problem by disconnecting the throttle lever from the forked fitting at the binnacle end of the throttle cable, unscrewing the forked fitting from the end of the cable, drilling two holes about 1/2" further down the fork for the clevis pin and reattaching the fitting to the throttle lever on the binnacle. This had the effective of shortening the cable and thus allowing the throttle control  to provide the full power of the engine if required. More details available if anyone is interested. Thanks to all for suggestions.

Now back to the problem of my temperamental alarm switch...

Thank you John for this fix. We just acquired a 2001 C34 mk II with the same issue of our throttle lever hitting the support and not allowing us to get much over 2100 RPM or so. I am relatively new to this so was hoping you could share some further details on your fix please?  Many thanks in advance!
2001 Catalina 34 Mk II
Hull# 1573
Universal M35B; Furling Main; Wing Keel
Miami, Florida

KWKloeber

Quote from: John Langford on October 15, 2018, 10:28:32 PM

Now back to the problem of my tempermental alarm switch...

JL, what engine does she have -- is the alarm (oil pressure?) intermitttent?  Or anemic?  etc.?

Jim Hardesty

QuoteNow back to the problem of my tempermental alarm switch...

My alarm problem, week intermittent alarm, was the alarm itself.   I pulled the alarm one winter and measured and matched to one with more decibels I found on-line.  Easy fix.  And only a few bucks.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Radio Shack has a real "12V screamer" beeper !!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : Infact, I've taken that same Radio Shack "Pulsing Piezo Buzzer #273-0066" and wired it in to the back-up lights on my autos!!! 
Lets every on know when I'm in reverse! 

Another thought
Ron, Apache #788

Becca

Hi to you all,

I am trying to find a manual for the engine controls on my C34 mk2 which has a single lever control system. Attached is a  photo of the controls lever and set up .  I am having some problem with it when shifting from fwd to rev wherein it locks up the engine, virtually shuts it down.  Don't want to damage the transmission.  So hoping to get a manual before I start taking things apart and make things worse. 

Any help would be most appreciated.   Spring is here in Sydney, Australia and we want to get out on the water.

my name is Dennis Meehan, my daughter Rebecca owns the boat and I get to fix things.   

I have contacted Edson and they say this has long ago been discontinued and were not able to help.  I note from looking at a lot of C34s that this Single Lever setup is rare.

Many thanks.

Ron Hill

John :  On your shifting problem : Insure that the transmission shifting arm has the MAX throw.  Check that the adjustment for the shifting cable is in the lower hole on the transmission shifting arm!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788