need thermostat housing

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

m25 kabota engine, i guess westerbeke housing, my mechanic is having trouble finding a replacement housing for my boat and i guess mine is completely cracked.  he left a message with westerbeke yesterday but are there other sites that might have it in stock?

thanks

becki kain
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Becki

I have a new cap in stock (blue for a newer XP, not the older copper-bronze).  But I just moved (everything is in storage) so I'll have to see if I can put my hands on it.

I can do that today if you need that one?
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

thanks Noah, i didn't know such a thing existed.  i forwarded to my mechanic

Ken, thanks but i need the housing, not the cap.  or i need more than just the cap.  thanks though

KWKloeber

becki

Mechanics typically call the tstat cap the "housing."
If he wants the "water flange" then, yes that's s different part.  I would verify which he needs (or both?)
I can verify if the water flange is in stock @ my distributor if you confirm that. 😀
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

anaisdog

after he sent me the picture, i think i was in shock so i probably didn't hear him well.  but i'll ask

thanks

KWKloeber

Post the pic?

The current Kubota p/n for the water flange is
https://www.messicks.com/part/15531-72700/flange-water

Not in stock but about 1/4 the cost vs Westerbeke. It's usually 3-5 days to get into stock but you can verify w/ Messicks or your local dealer. They can typically check stock across other dealers.

anaisdog

anaisdog

what would cause the housing to crack?  water in the antifreeze and what else ?  my boat has been leaking antifreeze since before i had it and we couldn't figure out from where.  thanks

KWKloeber

My first guess is that someone over tightened the threaded hose nipple and cracked the cast thermostat cap that it threaded into.   

That may be ONE reason Westerbeke did away with the hose nipple and it's now cast right into the cap. Lower mfgr cost would be the prime reason.