is the nav hanging locker supposed to drain and what is that black stuff?

Previous topic - Next topic

anaisdog

i have a 1986 hull 99 and thank you to Stu for the writeup about shelving, in the nav station, hanging locker.  now I have 2 more questions, is it supposed to drain into the bilge, because mine doesn't.  there's the big black hose that goes from the head to the holding tank and no other holes to drain.  and secondly, there was a build up of black caked something yet there is no smell.  I assume that means that hose is "weeping"?  i scrubbed the hell out of the floor yesterday so i'll see, with just sitting in the well and with sailing, what happens. 

thanks

becki kain
detroit
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

Ron Hill

Becki : I don't believe that any C34s came with a drain hole in the hanging locker.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

Switchback

Mine is an '86 as well and there is no drain there. Would make sense to have one wouldn't it?  :abd:
S/V Switchback

anaisdog

scgunner

That locker sits between the head and the holding tank, what do you think that black stuff is?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

anaisdog

the waste hose bleeding, or sweating, i guess.  but it doesnt seem to be now.

Fred Koehlmann

It is a "hanging locker", and in our C34 MkII, it was a "Cedar hanging locker". Cedar plywood of course.
It's not a wet locker, so not there is no drain or anything. We used the conveniently located head as our wet hanging space, and it, of course, does have a drain.

Ditto on the black stuff. Must have oozed out of the hose at some point. Time for a new hose?
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

anaisdog

my boat is too early for it to be cedar, it's just fiberglass on the inside.  yes, it seems to be time for a new hose but it's not leaking now, it seems

Ron Hill

All : As Fred said the head is wet "locker"!!

I wrote a Mainsheet Tech note article where I showed that I installed  1/4" "eye" nuts inplace of two of the 1/4" nuts in the overhead. 
Then you can hang your wet gear on a wooden hanger, open the engine access door, crack the overhead hatch and let items dry!!

A few thoughts   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

*what* overhead hatch?  in my head are newly replaced solar fans.  the only hatches i have in my 86 is the salon hatch and the vberth hatch?

Ron Hill

Sorry "anis", as I forgot that the 1986 C34 is the ONLY production year the C34 that does NOT have an over head hatch!!!!!  I believe that the 86's may have a Beckon opening port in the fixed portlight for ventilation!! 
Macopa  Macopa !!
Now that I said that there's going to be 1987 C34 that doesn't have an overhead hatch!! In many changes Catalina Factory carried over some of the OLD design in to the new production year

Anyway open something, hang up the wet stuff, close the head door, open the engine door and let things dry out !!

A thought   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

anaisdog

Jon W

My 1987 doesn't have an overhead hatch in the head. There is a solar vent and an opening Beckson portlight.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Noah

Becki, Jon—
There's a project for you—install a hatch! 8)
Solar vents there are a bit dicey anyway, if you have a dodger. I have one on the starboard side and it is shaded for a good part of the day due to my slip orientation.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig