macerator pump

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

My macerator is blowing fuses... it is not the original ... I put in a new one about 10 years back... it is a Jabsco 18590-1000.  I see a kit for servicing that model but they say 2015 or later... mine older than that ... I see a lot of service kits for the 1000..  Most if not all of 18590 series are 2092.  Prices are all over the map.

Suggestions?  Help!

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I think you'll need to buy a new one, Mark

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jim Hardesty

I'd just remove it.  If you keep your boat in Lake Ontario I think that's a no-discharge area. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

KWKloeber

Quote from: rappareems on September 22, 2018, 01:13:27 AM
My macerator is blowing fuses... it is not the original ... I put in a new one about 10 years back... it is a Jabsco 18590-1000.  I see a kit for servicing that model but they say 2015 or later... mine older than that ... I see a lot of service kits for the 1000..  Most if not all of 18590 series are 2092.  Prices are all over the map.

Suggestions?  Help!

Mark

If you're on the Great Lakes why/how do you know it's blowing fuses?!?!?!?!?!
It should be physically disconnected and NOT used.  Oooops.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Dave Spencer

I agree with Jim and Ken. Why do you care about a macerator pump on Lake Ontario?  And how did you find out it wasn't working?  There is absolutely zero use for one unless you are about 500 miles from your home port (which you may well be - hopefully!)
I'd recommend disconnecting the power and sealing the discharge valve with wire or a zip tie and forget about macerator operation or parts until you're miles offshore on the ocean.   These are likely not the answers you're looking for.  If you're in transit in a discharge area, I'd call or email Jabsco (Xylem). I've had good luck with their customer service.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Stu Jackson

Quote from: rappareems on September 22, 2018, 01:13:27 AM>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Prices are all over the map.

Suggestions?  Help!

Mark,

I had to replace my old one a few years ago.  I did the research and determined that Shurflo is a better pump than Jabsco - better materials, looks identical, dimensions the same.  Internet comparative shopping.

Pumps: macerator   9/9/2013   Jamestown Distrib.   Shurflo   $159.51    
Model 3200-001

Only better one I've heard of is a Johnson pump, don't know the details, never went that high up the food chain.

Other choice is a diaphragm pump, won't fit in that hole, so new hosing would be required.  Yucky.

Good luck.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

rappareems

Thanks Stu, Mike,

Ken, Jim and Dave... don't presume to know where my boat goes...

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Bill Shreeves

Raritan builds one and, from what I've read about its features, I'll likely be taking a serious look at it when I replace mine.  The pump has optional waste valve to isolate waste matter during maintenance, can be easily removed from the motor and optional method to automatically bump the impeller once every 7 days to keep it from sticking over the long-haul.

[url][/https://raritaneng.com/raritan-product-line/sanitation-accessories/macerator-pump/url]
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Indian Falls

Mark, I had same problem with mine.  Run it off a battery charger and it acted like it was brand new.
Put it in the boat and it popped the breaker.  Could be bad breaker, higher than normal resistance in the circuit connections getting to the pump. Or in my case it's just a crappy pump no pun intended. I removed it after trying to shim the pump housing with more gaskets and found that it's not worth the effort it took to make it work. 
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?