Masthead anchor tricolor LED light

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Hardesty

Sailors,
I'm considering LED anchor lighting.  Thinking about adding a masthead tricolor, as long as I'm at it.  I remember a unit that I could add the tricolor without running additional wires up the mast.  Then to further confuse my decision the USCG has reports of LED lights interfering with the radios.  So, what experiences have others had changing over to LED?  Would like to have names of dependable and problem units.
Thanks,
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Paulus

Jim, I replaced my anchor light with an LED light from marine beam.com
Replaced this 3yrs ago and have not experienced any interference with my radio.  I also have replaced all my interior lights with LED lights, except for the V-berth.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

When I did a complete rig upgrade I included a lighting package which included LED tricolor, LED spreader lights, and a standard steaming light. The LED Tricolor is an OGM OXTA-SP. The LED spreader lights are Lunasea LLB-472W-21-10. The standard steaming light is an Aqua Signal series 25. The spreader lights are very bright. Photo attached for reference.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

John Langford

Be sure when you buy a replacement LED bulb for your anchor light that it is built for the kind of treatment it receives on a boat. Specifically, it needs to be protected against corrosion and it needs drivers that will accept the kind of voltage variations that our batteries can provide. I had a bad experience with a bulb that apparently was designed for automobile use.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Jim Hardesty

Quotereplacement LED bulb for your anchor

Good point.  I want to get the entire fixture.  A good dependable one, don't want to go up the mast any more than necessary.

Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA