Fuel Tank Replacement - Plastic?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

I just removed the original aluminum fuel tank yesterday because it started leaking.  Fortunately, we were on the boat and caught it before it became a major clean-up.  After reading the life expectancy is 15 - 20 years and mine is 30, it owes me nothing.  Catalina Direct wants nearly $950 for the replacement plus shipping.  I plan on calling a place my marina uses for custom tanks to see how much they want.  Also wondering about a plastic fuel tank.  Anyone with experience, thought etc. regarding plastic and or Catalina Direct alternatives?   Should I have a tank built, I'd insist on baffles regardless of the material.

Thanks for your thoughts...

-Bill
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

scgunner

Bill,

Plastic is great for dinghy tanks or transporting small amounts of fuel from one place to another but I don't think I'd want to use it to hold 25 gallons of fuel. My aft water tank(plastic)developed a stress fracture and began to leak, while it was a pain in the butt it was just water. You can imagine the problems if it had been fuel.

Like you said your original owes you nothing, if it was me I'd bite the bullet and get the Catalina replacement.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Noah

I am surprised by your acessment that the life expectancy of aluminum fuel tank is 15-20 years. Would have thought a longer life expectancy. Hopefully, that's not a universal rule, as my 1990's tank is still going strong leak-free and I have no plans to alter or replace it. Knock on teak!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

Believe it or not, my 2000 MkII came with a plastic fuel tank, OEM from Catalina Yachts.  Not sure if they do this anymore on the newer boats.  There was a time where my plastic tank was permeating diesel fuel smell, but it's now been several years where that is not apparent.  At that time, I contacted CY about the situation and they were willing to sell me a metal fuel tank at cost (~$500).  I also contacted a local tank fabricator and the cost for me to have one custom made to match the size of the plastic tank was also ~$500.  I never did replace the plastic tank, as I said, the smell went away.  And yes, I did check to see if the smell came from a fuel leak anywhere and that was not the case.  As a matter of fact, all you had to do is sniff the wall of the tank and there was a strong diesel smell.  I concluded it was going right through the tank walls.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Noah

If you do have a new metal tank built, be sure have them put at least one inspection port for cleaning it out. One at each baffle would be ideal. Also to get super fancy, how about an extra pick-up and return fitting for a dedicated fuel polisher setup?
Standard Rig

Ron Hill

Guys : FYI, Catalina Factory stopped stocking plastic fuel tanks!! 
If you use MDR "diesel Water Zorb" oil based (Defender) you'll prevent the "rust thru" in an Al alloy fuel tank.

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Maybe you should check to see if it's repairable. The places that make custom tanks could probably tell you.
BTW I had a '89 Catalina and never a problem.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Noah

There was a "new" aluminum tank for sale on this forum awhile back. May be still available??
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9815.0.html
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Mike and Joanne Stimmler on September 14, 2018, 01:26:54 PM
Maybe you should check to see if it's repairable. The places that make custom tanks could probably tell you.
BTW I had a '89 Catalina and never a problem.

Mike

Mike,
With what I've read about life expectancy for aluminum tanks, the increased risk with the addition of ethanol in the fuel and not knowing whether or not previous 27 years of owners treated the fuel and a .090 thickness tank, I'm not inclined to repair the tank.  I might repair this only to have another leak, potentially worse. I'll sleep better on-board with my family knowing I replaced the 30 year old tank.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Noah on September 14, 2018, 04:23:26 PM
There was a "new" aluminum tank for sale on this forum awhile back. May be still available??
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,9815.0.html

Thanks Noah, the posting says its sold

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

WTunnessen

Eastport Rigging in Galesville MD repaired my 10+ year old replacement tank.  In my situation, the tank developed a leak at weld/soldering point.  So depending on where your tank is leaking, you might be able to repair it.  In addition to repairing the tank, they clean it and pressure tested the tank.
Gaulois #579 C34 Tall Rig - CYC West River, MD

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for all the great info and suggestions.  I went with a new aluminum tank from Ezell Industries in Fla.  I believe they're the manufacturer for Catalina.  They had the drawing and specs.  The tank arrived at the marina yesterday and I'll shoot down to the boat and install this weekend along with all new fuel lines.  BTW, they were extremely helpful, accommodating and had an excellent price!

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

Did you have them install at least one inspection/clean-out port?
Standard Rig

Bill Shreeves

Quote from: Noah on September 27, 2018, 08:58:36 PM
Did you have them install at least one inspection/clean-out port?

It's identical to the fuel tank from Catalina Direct.  Two inspection/clean-out ports.

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Noah

UPDATE:
So much for my confidence and wishful thinking: my original 1990 aluminum fuel tank  Started leaking last month! Fortunately, I discovered the leak after it had only leaked a minimal amount of diesel into the bilge and rushed to the fuel dock to pump out my FULL tank in time. (See last pic). Diesel had NOT saturated the (semi-glassed over) plywood shelf it sits on and shelf was salvagable once cleaned-up and repainted with two coats of Interlux bilgecoat. I epoxy repotted and redrilled the attachment holes for tank hold downs. I also will sand and paint the bilge area under the aft berth while in there.

I ordered a new tank from manufacturer, Ezell in FL. It cost  $614 plus $100 for shipping to CA. Ezell Is also the supplier to Catalina Direct, who sells the same tank  for $950 + tax + shipping+ crating charge for a total  of $1,127.  So I saved approx $400 ordering from Ezell.

The new "replacement tank took three weeks to build and arrive and features some design changes/upgrades standard including; thicker aluminum material and  two inspection/clean-out ports on top. They also come with a fuel sender installed. I also had them add a second hold down tab on the "pointy" end of the tank—which my original tank had, but the new ones don't. 

UNFORTUNATELY, all has not gone 100% smoothly. The new tank arrived via UPS DAMAGED. It was very poorly packaged in a cobbled-together cardboard box with tissue paper packing and no blocking. Guess CDs adding a $25 crating charge to their cost was reasonable.  But was not a issue/option  with Ezell tank purchase and I assumed proper packaging was a given. Apparently, UPS must have dropped my "cardboard boxed" tank (HARD) in transit as one of the aluminum hold down feet was badly bent. The hold down can probably be bent back, but I am a bit worried about possible damage to the integrality of tank, after being dropped hard enough to bend the foot.

I am in discussion with Ezell as to my next steps: i would like to have it bent back and and re-pressure tested by a local shop here is San Diego, as apposed to taking it to UPS to re-package properly and sending it back to FL and waiting another 3+-weeks for Ezell to repair/replace. I will keep you all posted...
Standard Rig