Join the C34 Association Today!
[C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [Join!]
Please login or register.
Advanced search  

News:

Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - Stu Jackson

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 548
61
Main Message Board / Re: Diesel Fuel Tank Volume - 1987 MK 1
« on: April 29, 2019, 07:13:22 AM »
Great job, Jon.

Are the changes in the B & C dimensions due to the shape of the tank?

As far as rank volume, I've always worked on the 23 gallon capacity, left three in reserve, and used 20 as "useful."  At 0.50 gallons per hour consumption for 20+ years of record keeping in my Fuel Log spreadsheet, I fill up with 10 gallons every 20 hours.  All sorts of ways to do it, but this is a truly helpful effort.  Thanks.

62
Kevin,

You have basically three choices, given your background of wanting to go manual. 

1.  Replace pump assembly with a manual Jabsco - not top of the line

2.  Replace pump assembly and base with a Raritan LBA pump and reuse your old bowl

3.  Buy a Raritan PHII.  PHII Installation with Photos  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3797.msg45617.html#msg45617

If not, you could get a"better" electric head, which IIRC is also made by Raritan.

63
Main Message Board / Re: water coming in the traveler
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:54:52 PM »
becki, this includes mention of those long bolts, second page of the text

www.c34.org/mainsheet/pdf/Nov_2005.pdf

64
Main Message Board / Re: water coming in the traveler
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:51:33 PM »
This is from the wiki, I haven't found the tech Note, yet...

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Traveler_Bolts

65
Main Message Board / Re: water coming in the traveler
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:22:27 PM »
you used 2 layers of tape (of which i have tons since it came as a two pack a the time) when you removed and rebed the traveler?

Yes:


I used two layers of Maine Sail's Bed-It-With-Butyl tape.  Easy to do.

I also wrapped a goodly amount around the head of each screw when I put them back in.

Ron's right about that Captain Tolley's, too.  I used it at the base of my traveler risers.  Great stuff for that kinda crack.

66
Main Message Board / Re: Aft Lazarette Wood Refinishing
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:18:16 PM »
Patches,

I have gone through the entire "how to treat exterior wood" routine.  For our cockpit wood we eventually settled on Cetol which we apply carefully so it doesn't look like Farmer Joe on his way to the country fair!  :D  We once got it down to bare wood when we removed the OP's original varnish finish.  We had boats for years before and determined varnish was not our style nor did we like the work.  Your boat, your choice. :D

Mine's teak, like all the rest of the wood upstairs.

Depending on how you choose to finish it, any replacement wood is really up to you.  Heck, you could even just paint it white to make it visually disappear.  Or if stiffness is all you think you need, put the stiffener on the INSIDE and remove the wood on either side of the lazarette hatch/seat.  Just thinkin' outside the box... :abd:

PS - If you add your hull #, at least, to your avatar or signature, it will help us and we don't have to keep asking you... 8)

67
Main Message Board / Re: water coming in the traveler
« on: April 27, 2019, 04:11:30 PM »
You need to remove the traveler end stops and the bolts holding it down.  There were originally only two screws holding it into a threaded plate in that fiberglass. 

The Tech Notes warned us with older boats to add a LONG 9 1/2 inch second bolt to each side, all the way through to the headliner below.

Your boat is older than mine, so check to see if you have the second bolts.

This shows the long bolt coming out.

I used two layers of Maine Sail's Bed-It-With-Butyl tape.  Easy to do.

68
Main Message Board / Re: Engine mount lag bolts
« on: April 27, 2019, 08:37:28 AM »
Chris, I'm the bozo who wrote about the toothpicks.  Happy to report that after many, many years, they are still holding.  My logic was simple:  those bolts do NOT hold the engine down, the gravity thing does.  So the lag bolts are in shear most of the time.  Therefore, my goal was to keep them in place, hence the toothpicks and silicone sealant.

Last year the forward lag bolt on the port aft mount backed out.  I had never had this one "go off" before, only the forward port mount.  That lag bolt is a BEAR to get to:  you can either see it or touch it, but not both!!!

I ended up buying a set of four ratcheting box wrenches (only a few dollars more than for just one at another store) that also tilt.  I was able to get a new lag bolt in and couldn't do it without that tool.

It's still in from April 2018.

Your boat, your choice.  :D

69
Main Message Board / Re: Working on mast cap
« on: April 26, 2019, 06:27:16 PM »
Chris, I don't know where you live, I usually include it in my signature on this and other boating forums.

I found scrap aluminum at an iron works place in a town near me.  I do, however, live out in the country, where we still have Kubota tractor dealers and service places right out in plain sight!  Can you imagine!?!  :D:D

You might consider asking at an auto repair place, or ask them where they get their stuff.  Could be something close by you that you just hadn't considered.

Good luck, happy hunting.

Don't forget Maine Sail's butyl tape, it'll last forever.

70
Main Message Board / Re: Working on mast cap
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Have you considered just covering it?  A small piece of aluminum plate, drill holes in four corners for bolts, drill & tap the four holes, seal it with Bed-It-with-Butyl tape.

71
Main Message Board / Re: Home Page Pictures
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:36:14 PM »
Catch sail #s and I can tell you.  I sailed with those folks, they're great.

72
Main Message Board / Re: Cracked rudder advice?
« on: April 26, 2019, 03:35:20 PM »
Dietrich,

Good you found that.  The most pressure is closer to the top and near the shaft.  Regardless, your "cure" sounds very appropriate.

There are a number of rudder articles in the Tech Notes Online.  I find the Knowledgebase helpful in finding them.  Many have to deal with "leaky rudders" which comes from the type of issue you describe.

Good luck.

73
C34IA News & Information / 2019 Officers & Fleet Captain Meeting Notes
« on: April 25, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »
April 25, 2019      FINAL

To:    Officers:   Noah Rosenblatt, Jon Windt, Stu Jackson, Ken Heyman, Jack Hutteball, John Nixon, Dave Sanner

           Board:  Rick Allen, Paul Erb, Ken Juul, Ray Irvine, Dottie Toney, Dave Schreder, Robert Schuldenfrei, Paul Alcock

   Guest (2018):  Sue Clancy (former Vice Commodore, website redesign)


Re:   Catalina 34 International Association 2019 Annual Officers Meeting

Dear Catalina 34 International Association Members, Officers and Board Members;

The Annual Meeting of the Catalina 34 International Association Officers and Fleet Captains was held via telephone conference call on Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 8:00 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, 5:00 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time.  The meeting concluded at 6:02 p.m. PDT.

The 2019 International Officers are listed after these meeting notes.  Participants in this teleconference were: Noah Rosenblatt, Jon Windt, Jack Hutteball, John Nixon, Stu Jackson, Ken Heyman, Dave Sanner, Ray Irvine, Dottie Toney, Paul Erb and Dave Schreder.  Absent were: Fleet 14 past and new captains Robert Schuldenfrei and Paul Alcock, and Past Commodore Rick Allen, Ken Juul, and past Vice Commodore Sue Clancy. 

The meeting was based on the emailed agenda, dated March 10, 2019.

MEETING NOTES

1.   Financial Report & Projections – Treasurer Ken Heyman
a.   Statement, dated March 31, 2019, showed loss of $1,814.73 for 2018.  Balance is adequate per earlier meetings discussions of a minimum of a year worth of magazine payments ($7,500-$8,000). 
      Report Year        as of Dec. 31              Cash Balance
      2019            2018         $11.7K
      2018            2017         $12.4K
                2017                    2016                     $12.0K
      2016              2015                     $11.9K
      2015                    2014                     $15.1K
      2014          2013          $12.7K   *
      2013                    2012          $20.7K   *

* --- decrease in funds due to “dividend” offered in 2013   

b.   Statement and projections accepted as presented per motion made and seconded. 
c.   No discussion of a dividend for 2018.  2016 Meeting motion was to look at it every year as a method for keeping the balance to a reasonable amount.  [Dividend is defined as a free year of membership; initiated due to excess of funds in 2013.]
2.   Membership – Secretary Stu Jackson
a.   450 C34s, plus 28 C355s, total 478, down a bit from the 2017 count of 500 C34s plus 28 C355s, 528 total, similar to 2017 of 504 C34s plus 29 C355s, 533 total, down from 2016 of 525 members of which 28 are C355s, 553 total C34 IA members;  down from 2015 figures of 594 members of which 32 are C355s, 562 C34s; down from 2014 figures of 639 members of which 41 are C355s, 588 C34 skippers; 2013 figure of 560 members, of which 28 were C355 skippers, 532 C34 skippers.   
b.   Slight downward trend but holding reasonably steady.  Appears pretty healthy, good Mainsheet Tech Notes and the good website attract and retain IA members.
c.   Stu noted that he reports membership every quarter in Mainsheet magazine.
3.   Associate Editor report – Jack Hutteball
a.   Jack noted that he had prepared a friendly outreach on the forum to solicit articles, including guidelines and did not receive a great response, and will try again.  He encouraged Fleet articles.  Jack advised that Fleet articles can still be submitted and may be published by Mainsheet, with no guarantees as in the past.
4.   Technical Editor report – John Nixon
a.   John reported he and Jack have been having difficulties accessing the tech notes online and haven’t been able to post the last three article.  Dave Sanner can add Wordpress access for Jack and John.
5.   Website: General – From the 2018 Meeting Notes:  The 2017upgrades to the website will require ongoing effort to maintain the different sections.  The intent is NOT to remove and or edit older material.  It is to encourage ownership of the various sections for clarity and continuity.
a.   Commodore Noah Rosenblatt, Vice Commodore Jon Windt and Secretary Stu Jackson will form a committee.  The purpose of the committee’s work will be to close the loop on the outstanding issues described in the 2018 Meeting Notes and the 2019 Agenda, and to clearly document all updating activities related to the website and IA records for clarity for those who follow us in the future.  Stu noted that the committee could meet via freeconferencecall.com.
b.   While not discussed in detail during the Meeting because of the formation of the committee, the 2018 Meeting Notes and the 2019 Agenda describe the scope of the committee work in this Item 5b and Items 6 & 8c below.
1)   List of Forum/Message Board Administrators/Moderators 
a)   Dave advised that he would add Noah and Jon as Forum Administrators. 
2)   Administrators to review and accept new respondents on the Forum – Dave noted that we do this manually to avoid spam & bots.   
3)   gmail addresses for Officers  - is it worth the complications
4)   Wordpress authorized individuals & methodology
5)   List of Sue Clancy’s “How To” memos
6.   “To Do List” from 2017 Officers Meeting Notes
a.   These items should also be included in the committee’s overview
1)   The multi-page Tech Notes Online document technotes.docx in 5, b, 5) above.
2)   Procedure for editing home page officers contacts to include current information.
3)   Record the Yearly To Do List as completed in 2018
a)   Update home page with hidden officers emails
b)   Post Officer & Fleet Captain Meeting Notes, including Election results
c)   Send backup copies of database in FileMakerPro and xls to Commodore, Vice Commodore and Treasurer; send C355 list to Ed & Diane Walters  (their email address is:  dgwalters@gmail.com)  The 2018 agenda included the background of our relationship with the C355 skippers.
4)   Stu has developed a list of all the C34IA accounts
5)   The list of website sections based on Sue’s 2018 input for Ownership – see the agenda for the list of these items and how updates are to be handled.
7.   National Regatta – Ray advised no regatta is planned.
8.   Fleets – The Fleet Formation Package is routinely sent to new VCs
a.   Fleet Captain comments
1)   Ray noted that Fleet 1 has suffered significant decline from 50 to 22 although it maintains an active racing contingent.
2)   Dottie advised the Fleet 13 remains vibrant.  Even though some lake sailors are moving to larger waters, they remain in contact.  Fleet activities include on & off water events and since 2004 their yearly Memorial Day brunch is used to plan the activities for the coming year, including awards and fun awards.
3)   Stu reported that Bob Schuldenfrei advised that Paul Alcock would be the new Captain for Fleet 14.
b.   Mainsheet – No discussion this year.
c.   Promotion of Fleet section on Home Page – This means from the menu on the Home Page, not the sections on the forum.  The intent is to have this section a place for fleet news that has been discontinued from Mainsheet magazine.  The committee should review and make recommendations.
9.   Fleet Support  -  Motion made, seconded and passed to extend Fleet Support for $15 per boat as of April 1st with those fleets that choose not to accept OK, requires a discussion and a motion for renewal every year.

****END****


 
Dear Catalina 34 International Association Members, Officers and Board Members:

February 20, 2019

The 2019 International Officers listed were duly elected by a majority of Fleet Captains and the Past Commodores in accordance with the C34 IA Constitution. 

2019 C34 International Association Officers


2019 Officers


2019 Commodore  Noah Rosenblatt
2018 Commodore
2017 Vice Commodore 
#1014  Jete
noahr@san.rr.com
858-722-8286

2018 & 2019 Vice Commodore
Jon Windt
#493   Della Jean
kevelnat@san.rr.com
858-610-0691‬


2019 Secretary Stu Jackson 
1999-2018 Secretary
#224  Aquavite
mraquaq@aol.com 
250-743-0799

2019 Treasurer Ken Heyman
2007-2018 Treasurer
#535  Wholesailor
kenheyman@msn.com
(847) 422-3371 (cell)

Chief Measurer – position vacant
 
2019 Mainsheet Editor Jack Hutteball  (Fleet 5) 
2009 - 2018 Mainsheet Editor
#1555  Mariah II
JhuttebalL@comcast.net
360-558-4242

2019 Webmaster Dave Sanner (Fleet 1)   
2005 to 2018 Webmaster
non-voting 
#611  Queimada
sanner@big.net, dsanner@rigel.net
775-588-6699

2019 Technical Editor  John Nixon
2010 -2018 Technical Editor
# 728  Otra Vez
c34hull728@gmail.com
817-341-1219

2014  Associate Technical Editor Ron Hill (Fleet 12) – no longer participating 
#788  Apache  (transferred boat to son – 2014)
non-voting
2004 - 2014  Associate Technical Editor
Past Technical Editor & C34 General Overall “Guru”
(540) 891-5297
ronphylhill@comcast.net




 
PAST COMMODORES

2017 & 2016 Commodore Rick Allen  (Fleet 1)
2014 & 2105 Vice-Commodore Rick Allen
#746  Painkiller
sailorick@gmail.com
916-718-3789

2014 &2015 Commodore  Paul Erb
2013 Vice-Commodore
#1634  Yachta Yachta Yachta
erbsail34@Comcast.net
941-830-8802

2013 Commodore Lance Jones (Fleet 13) – no longer participating
2011 & 2012 Vice-Commodore
#622  Kitty’s Cat

2011 & 2012 Commodore Michael Shaner (Fleet 12) – no longer participating
2009-2010 Vice-Commodore
#300  Queequeg

2009 & 2010 Commodore Bob Kuba – no longer participating
#1291  Quiet Island  (sold in 2013)

Dave Davis (Fleet 1)  – eight bells  2018
#707  Wind Dragon

Jon Arck (Fleet 1) – no longer participating
#1346  Tweety Bird  (sold in 2015)
2004 &2005 Commodore
2004 Vice-Commodore

Bill Jenks – no longer participating
#1484
2003 & 2004 Past Commodore
2005 - 2006 Treasurer

2007 & 2008 Commodore Ken Juul
#1090  Luna Loca
kenandvic@cox.net
757-229-7611


74
Main Message Board / Re: cockpit table
« on: April 23, 2019, 05:44:15 PM »
Very nice work on all counts.  Glenn, how did you attach the extension?

...you can see the knobs ...

Knobs?  It's good to be king!  :D

75
Main Message Board / Re: Finally found oil leak
« on: April 23, 2019, 03:46:19 PM »
Glenn, you can use the Knowledgebase spreadsheet to find those articles Ron mentions.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 548