Sanitation System Help Needed

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailing48N

I'm in the planning process of replacing all the sanitation hoses. The PO had a holding tank installed under the v-berth and a rather unique holding tank vent configuration.

Given the pictures below, are there any recommendations for changes that may need to be made?
I'm thinking that a few of the hose runs could be more "in-line" in relation to the y-valve and the lower output of the tank.
Is that 90 degree elbow really needed at the bottom of the tank?

Also, the tank venting configuration needs to go. It looks like the PO had it setup to see when the tank was overfilled by having the vent hose run up the front side of the v-berth and then down through a small through hull. The through hull is less than a foot above the waterline which you can just barely see in the last picture through the small hole. Is that something I should be concerned with that close to the waterline?

https://flic.kr/p/HBcReb

https://flic.kr/p/HBcRBW

https://flic.kr/p/HBcRSf

https://flic.kr/p/H6MGPG

https://flic.kr/p/HVfhrV
Russell & Lindsay
1986 Hull #154 - Standard Rig / Fin Keel
Tacoma, WA

Ekutney

Ed Kutney
1986 C34
S/V Grace #42 shoal keel
Universal M-25
Magothy River
Severna Park, MD

"No one could make a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

They're there, You have to click on each link that he posted one at a time.
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Sailing48N

I had to go back and edit the post to add [url.../url] links. The Flickr links didn't work within the [img.../img] brackets like I thought they would.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Sailing48N

I've finally got the images to embed correctly now.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Stu Jackson

Russell,

Welcome.

You might want to read the "101 Topics" where I've placed "Peggie Hall's Top Ten List" which includes discussions about just your issue.

Peggie has literally "written the book" on boat sanitation systems, and it's a worthwhile purchase.

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615/The+New+Get+Rid+of+Boat+Odors
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Sailing48N

While I haven't read her book, I have read dozens of threads on the topic including all of the "101 Topics" as you mentioned before I posted this thread. Her advice in those threads has been invaluable and helped me quite a bit already.

However, I need advice on my specific setup. I've seen a lot of information on the "standard" setup in the original port side location for the holding tank. I haven't been able to compare my setup to anything else I've seen thus far.

I'm questioning if this setup as seen in my pictures can be done in a more efficient manner or more importantly is there something I haven't noticed that should be changed. And I'm not sure what's going on with the vent hose.

Here's my plan so far. I'm replaceing all of the hoses with Trident 101 hoses and the y-valve (broken handle) with the Whale DV5606 diverter valve. Both based on Peggy's advice to others. I don't think there's a good reason for the 90 degree elbow at the tanks exit or the 100 degree bend to get back to the current y-valve location.

Would this work for the hose routing and diverter valve?

Also, to keep it simple I think I'll bypass whatever contraption he had running up the bow end of the v-berth with regards to the vent hose. I'm not sure what that was really there for although I have a vew guesses.

However, I'm still concerned about the location of the through hull for the vent being so close to the waterline. And also the size of the vent hose being only 1/2 inch. I possibly run a 1 inch hose up between the panel just aft of the anchor well to a new hole closer to the rub rail. Would this be needed? I'd rather keep it simple if possible. It's been in its current configuration for the last 29 years.

Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Dave Spencer

Russell,
Your plan for the 1 1/2" hose looks good to me (although I'm in fresh water and I don't have an overboard discharge).  You're right that the vent arrangement looks suspect.  I'm surprised that the vent could be so low on the hull and not take in significant water during an energetic sail although I guess the fishy looking U shaped hose would prevent water from gushing in the tank.  Raising the vent higher is a good idea in my opinion but may I recommend moving the vent through-hull aft and up closer to the rail.  I phoned Peggy and spoke to her when I redid my vent several years ago and she recommended that the vent line never exceed a 45 degree slope.  She acknowledged that this was not always possible but it looks like it could be with your setup.  You could run the vent aft under the V berth along the port or stdb side and raise it as close the rail as possible as you transition through the drawers or hanging locker in the forward cabin.  She also acknowledged that a larger vent is better than a smaller one but space to run  1" hose is not generally available on many boats. 
I added a second vent to my port side holding tank where I added a through hull just below the rail... see reply 17 here
http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6861.msg45889.html#msg45889   I used 3/4" Trident XHD for the vent - a significant improvement over the fresh water grade hose that was originally used. 
I'm sure others will have some alternate ideas for you to consider.  Good luck with your project.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

That "vent" hole, looks suspiciously link the drain hole for the anchor locker. Where does your anchor locker drain? Either way get that vent hole up near the gunwale. At least near your top blue stripe.

In general though, that tank is a long way from the head. IMHO
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Sailing48N

Thanks Dave and Fred...

I believe the anchor locker drains to another hole on the starboard side in roughly the same location that the port side tank vent is currently.

I hadn't considered going aft with the vent hose. That's perfect. I'll look at running aft and up into the hanging locker or behind the drawers as high as possible.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Fred Koehlmann

Since you are so far forward, you might be able to go up between to anchor locker and the hull.

Sailing48N

So, my plan for the vent hose is to re-route it up between the anchor locker and the hull as suggested. It's the shortest run and could keep from going to far past a 45 degree rise.

My question now is... what do I do with the existing through hull mushroom vent down below? How hard would it be to fill it in? Or should I plug it somehow?
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Fred Koehlmann

Unless you need two anchor locker drains, I would close it up. Good old epoxy, glass and gelcoat work. I like the West System products, but there are cheaper and just as good stuff out there.

Sailing48N

That would probably be the best solution. Now I just need to educate myself on that process and quickly. :)
I'm sure there are some videos online I can watch for this.
Russell & Lindsay
Tacoma, WA

Steve McGill

Russell,

I'm sure there is a reason that the tank is not in the usual port side mid ship location.
How long must you pump to clear 20 + feet of pipe from the head discharge. I'm just
thinking the potential for plumbing issues are many with the current v birth location.

Not trying to be critical, but I've not seen many setups with the holding tank at that distance.

Best of luck,

Steve
CLARITY 1988 #588 TRWK (sold 8/2023 after 17 yrs)
Chesapeake, Herring Bay, MD