Motor mount change question

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

First of all, I know my search skills leave so much to be desired.  I did a search for "reciprocating saw" and "motor mounts" and only saw references to the use of a saw with cutlass bearing replacement, but I did see one thread reference the need for a saw when changing mounts. I read about changing mounts in the FAQ's but still didn't see any mention of the use of a saw :(

I think I've decided to go with the K75's  My boat is hull 854 and there seems to be enough vibration.  The engine has 1100 hrs but if original their going on 25 years old.

I'm also hoping to change them, one at a time.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com

Stu Jackson

Steve, no, you weren't missing anything.  That's 'cuz Captain Al used "saw zal" in his writeup, not reciprocating saw, plus it was in Projects, not on this Message Board.  Here's the link to that discussion, scroll down:

http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-engine-mount-replacement.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

stevewitt1

Thank You Stu

I read that(or lots of it, but not all) and just didn't get down far enough. 

Steve

Kevin Henderson

This is one of those projects that I would really love to take on. 
I feel way too intimidated to attempt to raise the engine and replace the mounts as Ron described in his procedure in the tech notes.  The idea of leaving the engine in place and changing out the mounts one at a time is very appealing.  However... I'm also very nervous about taking a saw to my perfectly good motor mounts.
This is really one of those times that I would love to see a nice step by step with pictures that Mainsail is so very good at..... Hint Hint  :wink:    :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

stevewitt1

Kevin

Well, If I change them out, I'll try to document it with pics to share.  Let's just hope it doesn't become a pictorial of "How not to do it!"   LOL

Steve

Stu Jackson

Kevin, Maine Sail doesn't do it for free, if you read his website he does ask for donations.  He also doesn't own a Catalina 34!  :abd:

Also, that link I provided has some pretty good instructions for doing the work, almost step-by-step.  Ron did a great job writing it up, and the other contributors to that old Projects article added a lot of information.

Is there something specific you need in addition to what's there?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Joe Holmes

I can vouch for the quality of the instructions. I replaced my mounts last fall after my boat came out of the water.  Being a contortionist is my best advice.  The only issue I ran into is that one of the old mounts was so badly corroded that I had to cut off the stud top and bottom, and then remove the tab on the engine that it connects to, and drill out the remnants of the stud. The tab is attached to the engine body with two studs.

I followed the advice of using the k50/k75 combination.  Looking forward to spring and trying out the new mounts. 
Joe Holmes
1988 Mk 1 Tall Rig, Hull 758
Rothesay NB Canada

Kyle Ewing

Kevin,

I did this job a few years ago.  I wrote it up, with pictures, at http://www.saildonnybrook.com/2011/04/changing-engine-mounts.html

I'm still happy with the results.

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

Ron Hill

Steve : Sorry to screw you up, but the reason I said reciprocating saw because that is the type of saw to use.

"Saw zal" is the name of "Milwaukee" brand tools for their reciprocating saw! 
It just so happens that I have and used a used a "DeWalt" brand reciprocating saw!!

Good luck changing out your mounts. 
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff Tancock

Don't be afraid of lifting the engine off the mounts........no big deal.  Just tip it so that you do the front pair together and then the back pair together. I used my removable boom Vang as my block and tackle attached to the boom. The main halyard supported the boom from above. Almost effortless.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Is there any possibility of bending the shaft when lifting the engine?
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Jim Hardesty

Mike,
Put a line on the outside of the motor coupling, so it will assemble the same, then remove the 4 bolts and slide the shaft back a little.  You need it loose to check the engine alignment after changing the mounts anyway.  I like the idea of changing one mount at a time.  Then snug that mount in position.  That way the other 3 mounts keep the engine close to aligned.  Engine alignment is the skill part of the job.  It's not that difficult, but it's worth the effort to get it right.  The cutless bearing and shaft packing will last much longer.  Now is a good time to check the cutless bearing if it's bad, can't get a good alignment.  Don't forget to recheck after the boat has been floating for a week or two.
Hope this helps,
Jim

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Mike : You will not be able to lift the engine unless you remove the 4 bolts that hold the drive shaft coupling to the transmission!!
Depending on how high you have to lift the engine you'll probably want to remove the hose from the exhaust riser to the inlet of the muffler.  That connected riser will pretty much hold the engine in place.

If you haven't installed a flexible hump hose, now is the time to do it while the old hose is off to change the mounts!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Indian Falls

I used an ordinary hacksaw blade to get the motor mount you can't get with a sawzall. You don't need to lift the engine at all if you are sawing the studs on the old mounts. The new K75's are 2 piece so they go into place without lifting the engine.  I did one at a time with the only trouble being the inability to get 2 hands on things. The challenge is re-aligning the shaft coupling. The instructions dictate less than .003" but this seems irrelevant when your running engine is moving around 1/4" in all directions.  I have learned in the last 3 seasons all this movement seems ok as far as the wiring and exhaust components are concerned. Immediately after haul out that season the stuffing box hose and the cutless bearing were replaced and the everything re- aligned. No more shaft log slap at low rpm.  Best of luck. Many of us have tackled this with help from this forum and it really isn't that bad.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Dan : My hat is off to you if you had the patience to use a hack saw blade!!

Guess convicts used to break out of prison with a hack saw blade smuggled in inside of a cake,
But a reciprocating saw make in easier and a lot faster!!

My thought
Ron, Apache #788