Seeing over the navpod

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_lex

A friend of mine (actually, a spouse who's short of stature) is asking if there's a way to see over the navpod when steering from amidships.  I suggested that there are all kind of reasons to steer from one side or the other, but I don't suppose anyone has platforms that go on the cockpit floor, on the centerline aft of the wheel, do they?  Thanks.
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

Jim Hardesty

I sometimes will stand on the aft seat.  Works just right for me to see over the dodger with a clear view of the bow.  I think if you learn to sail with a tiller it's just natural to be on the side of the boat.   I get used to steer from any place I can reach the wheel.  My previous boat had a wired remote for the auto pilot, by keeping it in manual you could just steer with the remote.  Found it to be usefull. 
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Stu Jackson

A skipper on catalinaowners.com came up with a nifty idea a year or so ago:  He modified a simple tiller extender and connected it to a spoke on his wheel.  Either he sold it to Forespar or they copied his idea and are now marketing it.  Could even be an ad in Mainsheet.

In our review of the (then) new C375, we commented on how high the navpod was and how difficult it would be to see over it, even for skippers who were 6'-2" or even taller!  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4232.msg24252.html#msg24252

We also commented on how high the dodger was and how one would be required to look through the glass all day.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7161.15.html

My friend Dave is 6'-3" + and his wife is like a foot shorter!  They bareboated a C350 to Desolation Sound a few years ago.  On his return he reported that they both really disliked the layout because of the high navpod and high dodger.  His wife had to stand on the helmsman's seat for hours at a time (no working autopilot) and his eyes were right in line with the top of the aft end of the dodger and it was slanted, which Ron Hill has noted is a really poor design because it ends up making a large visual obstruction.  It has also been reported that many folks simply cannot steer unless they are directly behind the wheel, and is not necessarily gender-specific.  :D

You could also try a step stool, like this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6954.0

FWIW, the Mark Is have a higher "humped" helmsman seat, where the Mark IIs only have the flat seat.  Neither work with wonky dodgers and massive navpods.   :cry4`
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Steve,

On my 1999 MK II, I take the helmsman seat and hang it on the stern ladder using the notches cut into it to sit on.  My wife is 4-11 and she can sit on the seat and see very nicely over the nav pod (pic of me sitting on the seat).  The last rung of the ladder also make a back rest (a bit hard, but suffices).

Hope this helps,

Steve

Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Roc

When I bought my boat, I had the dealer cut the binnacle grab rail down a few inches.  The Navpod is right below my line of sight now.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Steve_in_lex

Great ideas,all.  I like the idea of hanging the seat over the ladder...it could go a long way toward spousal acceptance of the new acquisition...if you know what I mean.  (And I imagine you do!)

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

TonyP

Or you sit up on top of your ladder. Just add some lashings of rope as a back rest/safety option as here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DmVP18aeSk&noredirect=1

cheers
Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

scotty

Another option is a "Helmseat".  They are a very comfortable seat, and are higher.  I find that they need a bit more foot support.  They attach to the stern rail.  I have one and use it a lot.  Here is the website:
  http://www.helmseat.com/
Scotty

Kent & Jane Overbeck

My Admiral also wanted the "Helmseat" but the company is out of business.  However, their web site is still up showing the seat and specifications.  I bought a seat from Defender, some Starboard on line, some PVC fittings from Home Depot and made her one.  Fortunately I had a couple of rail clamps.  The PVC legs will be changed as soon as I figure out what I want to use.  I put it on yesterday and it fits fine, just needs a few minor adjustments.

Kent

scotty

The legs on my HelmSeat are just stainless tubes.  they also have a nice foot brace (which I may make larger) that can be easily made using stock bimini parts.
Scotty

Clay Greene

I would continue to encourage her to steer from the side.  No matter how high you sit (or stand), there is no way to see the genny sail trim from amidships.  My favorite place to steer when sailing was sitting on the coaming on the leeward side - you're almost over the water and you have a perfect view of your genny telltales.  If we were really heeling, I would switch to the same position on the windward side because it was easier to brace myself. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

BOB FLEEGE

My 34 Cat has the sugar scoup stern 1992.  I built a 3 piece raised platform that my teak helms seat sets on.  The two side pieces rest on the helms seat lazerrete edges so that the bottom pieces don't touch the cockpit sole.  The two side pieces have a knotch where the center piece can slide in.  It is trimmed out where the helms seat fits snuggley.  I also made the center piece curved enough in the middle where my Honda 2000 fits nicely right under it.  Can also run the Honda right there when off shore when I don't want to run the engine to heat up the boat  while sailing and battery charging.