Trash location on MK I

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

On the MK I, where do you store a trash bag or can.  For the few times we have been out, we've had a small trash bag we end up placing on the galley sole.

chuck53

we keep a small trash can underneath the nav station.

Ron Hill

mre : I have a covered trash can secured to the table pedestal and the mast - aft of the mast. 

It's under the table in a space that isn't normally used.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

We have a small shelf at the bottom of the door to the water heater.  There is a small garbage can that sits on it with a bungee holding it to the door.  We line it with plastic bags from the grocery store.  It is out of sight.  Works well for day sailing.  When out for longer than an overnight we hang a bag for the aft berth door knob.
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

Under the nav station.  I put in two short bungee cords to keep it from sliding out on port tack.  We also have our rather large Freedom 15 combined inverter charger down there, so it's pretty full up, but I've never felt I miss the knee room.

In all our homes (my family) the trash is below the kitchen sink so you have to open a door.  I like the boat better - it's just a deep plastic can, no top with kitchen plastic liners - NO top.  I enjoy not having to use two hands to drop something in the trash!  :D  I also crush aluminum cans on the small rug in the galley.  I remember reading about a guy in a C27, who couldn't figure out why there were all these round scratches on the fiberglass sole of his new to him boat.  Turns out that the PO used to crush his beer cans there!  Old Mainsheet story IIRC.  I don't want to scratch up our newly refinished teak & holly sole. :D   We recycle our glass.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Under the companionway stairs/on top of the engine compartment.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

TonyP

I 2nd Footloose,
Ours is a small plastic bin bungeed to the hot water access door.
Seems to work well for us, then into a beer or wine box in aft cabin till we find a bin ashore.

cheers

Tony
Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Jeff Tancock

We're with Ted.......on the engine cover under the companionway stairs. A plastic can that holds glad kitchen garbage bags. Very handy but out of the way.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ken Juul

I have a towel rack mounted above the drawer under the sink.  I hang a plastic shopping bag from it.  Finally found a good use for never ending supply of bags from the store.  When full, tie closed and either in the dumpster or dinghy if away from the dock.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Phil Spicer

footloose must have taken a lesson from my wife. Her way to take care of
trash for 20 years.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ken Juul

We use the trashcan on the water heater door to store our clean trash bags
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Clay Greene

We have the garbage can on the water heater access door but we don't use it much because it is small and any overflow goes into the bilge.  We have an adhesive hook mounted on the wood trim around the sink and we hang a garbage bag there.  It is conveniently located and it doesn't interfere with movement.  Can't take any credit for it - it was the PO's innovation that we kept. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

KINGAIR350

Since we dont use the foot pump for the sink(galley) bought a small trash can ,took the rubber foot off pressed the can against it cut a hole from the mark and replaced the foot and it doesmt slide around or forgotten after we leave, used a regular grocery bag seems to have worked and the Her Highness likes it there . Got the can at Family Dollar $3.00. JAT

patrice

Hi,
We too have a garbage can under the nav station.  But we have a cover  :D , just push on the front and open the top lid.
We don't use the one in the water heater compartment.  We don't find it easy to access, and me too don't like if something fall off into the bilge.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

MarkT

A regular bucket (very handy for other uses too) on the engine cover under the companionway stairs.

Mark T