Fuel Gauge Not Working

Previous topic - Next topic

Tashahacker

Hi all,

My fuel gauge is not working and I can't work out whether it's the gauge itself or the mechanism in the fuel tank that's not working. Before I go tearing both apart, does anyone know of a way to work out which one it is that's broken?

Thanks for your help, as always!

Tasha (Turf to Surf)
Tasha Hacker
www.turftosurf.com

Ron Hill

Tasha : Go on our web site to the Seaward check list I posted on checking the fuel guage system.

There is a 99% probability it is the fuel float in the fuel tank.  There have been many posts and articles (Projects/WiKi) on how to change out the float sending unit.  

Your problem is being in the Bahamas and getting a replacement.  In the mean time use a fuel consumption of .5 gal/hour and you can't go wrong - until you get back to the States and get the part.  

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron's right about the fuel consumption.  See:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3841.0.html

I would figure the sender is bad.  I will not replace mine until it's time to sell the boat!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tashahacker

Quote from: Ron Hill on January 27, 2013, 02:32:29 PM
Tasha : Go on our web site to the Seaward check list I posted on checking the fuel guage system.

There is a 99% probability it is the fuel float in the fuel tank.  There have been many posts and articles (Projects/WiKi) on how to change out the float sending unit.  

Your problem is being in the Bahamas and getting a replacement.  In the mean time use a fuel consumption of .5 gal/hour and you can't go wrong - until you get back to the States and get the part.  

A few thoughts

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your help. If we know the part, we can probably have it FedExed to Nassau since we'll be there in a week.

With regard to the Seaward Checklist, can you give a link to it?

Thanks again!

Tasha
Tasha Hacker
www.turftosurf.com

Stu Jackson

Tasha, click on the "C34 Tech wiki" link at the top of this page, scroll down to fuel and click on that.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."