Catalina 34    Message and Discussion
Join the C34 Association Today!
    [C34 Home] [C34Tech Notes] [C34 Tech Wiki] [C34 Cruising Wiki] [Store] [Join C34IA]
November 22, 2014, 08:41:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Take advantage of the new theme, update your forum profile.

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wing Keels vs. Fin Keels  (Read 3441 times)
HOTTO3
Forum - Seaman Apprentice

Boat Name / Hull Number: None
Model Year: None
Home Port: Manhattan, Kansas

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2012, 10:58:01 AM »

Where can I find a source of information regarding the advantages and disadvantages of the Catalaina 34 wing keel vs. the fin keel.
Ted Pounds
Forum - Chief Petty Officer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 11:39:43 AM »

There are lots of posts here regarding the two keels.  Do a search on "keel" for starters.  Bottom line is the fin sails better (mainly it points higher) and the wing can sail in shallower waters (like Florida or the Bahamas).

Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447
Jim Hardesty

Boat Name / Hull Number: Shamrock/1570 M35BC
Model Year: 2001
Home Port: Erie PA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 12:01:07 PM »

Here in Lake Erie the advantage isn't so much sailing as it is docking.  Anything over 5 feet and your docking (cruising) options decrease. 

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA
tonywright
Forum - Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat Name / Hull Number: Vagabond, #1657
Model Year: 2003
Home Port: Ottawa, Canada

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:57:10 PM »

I suspect that the ability to resell is higher for a wing keel. More owners seem to opt for the shallow draft. We have seven MKII's in our club. All are wing keel.

Tony

Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada
Ron Hill
Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

Boat Name / Hull Number: APACHE #788
Model Year: 1988
Home Port: Great Wicomaco River, Chesapeake Bay

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 06:01:56 PM »

Hot : The main bottom line is simply : if where ever you go you have water for a 6 ft draft get a fin!!
                                                   if you want to get to shallower ports/anchorages - get a wing !!

Ron, Apache #788
Footloose

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »

Like Ron said, it just depends on where you will be sailing.  Our fin is great in Lake Champlain, but if I lived in Florida I'd be looking for a wing.

Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain
Ron Volk
Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat Name / Hull Number: GOOSE III - 1235 (tall rig)
Model Year: 1993
Home Port: Dana Point, CA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »

I agree with the last couple of posts, depends where you are, in S. Cal you would be hard pressed to see many wing keels, and I'm sure the finn keels would resell at a higher price.

Ron - GOOSE III
Terry Forshier

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:51 AM »

Here in florida the wing keels are most popular. It allows sailing along the western coast and the keys and the bahamas and out to the islands. So here you pay a premilum for the wing keels. I have one and love it.  I had sailed and owned centerboard boats for years amd the wing is very sturdy and sits up well in a blow. Don't think if you buy one you are sacrificing sailing ability. Unless you are racing you will probably not notice a difference.
gwp
Forum - Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boat Name / Hull Number: 568
Home Port: Josephine AL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 09:32:06 AM »

Another consideration not mentioned is the difficulty freeing a grounded wing keel. The more angle of heel, the deeper the wing digs into bottom. Keep that tow policy valid
Stephen Butler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 01:48:33 AM »

We sail in Florida thin waters with a fin keel, and do not have problems if we keep an eye on the chart and depthmeter.  One appreciated benefit of a fin keel is that if we are forced onto a mud/sand bank, the fin keel does not dig in and we can usually get off easily.  We have spoken with TOWUS and they often mention the difficulty of getting a wing-keel off a bank as it digs in like an anchor.  Also, we have often wondered what is the true draft of a wing-keel when it is healed over....wonder if there really that much difference.  Just some thoughts

Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023
Ken Juul
Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer

Boat Name / Hull Number: Luna Loca #1090
Model Year: 1990
Home Port: Deltaville, VA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 08:49:09 AM »

Here in the skinny Chesapeake I've cleaned the bottom of my wing keel quite often.  I've never had a problem motoring off the mostly mud/muck bottoms.  Not sure there is any validity in the harder to get a wing keel unstuck claim.

Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA
Jim Hardesty

Boat Name / Hull Number: Shamrock/1570 M35BC
Model Year: 2001
Home Port: Erie PA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:25:47 AM »

I'm paranoid when it comes to grounding my wing keel.  Worry about the plow anchor effect.  Good to hear that Ken powers off.  What concerns me more is that the rudder is only inches shallower than the keel.  Still I would not have bought a fin keel, too limiting for cruising Lake Erie.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 08:06:06 AM by Jim Hardesty » Logged

Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA
Ron Hill
Forum - Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy

Boat Name / Hull Number: APACHE #788
Home Port: Great Wicomaco River, Chesapeake Bay

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »

Guys : Either you have touched bottom OR you don't leave the dock OR are lying!!

I've only had to be towed once in 25years and that was because I pivoted the wing in the wrong direction - toward shallower water (DUMB).  I've always had luck pivoting with power and getting unstuck myself.

I have ablative paint on the bottom, but the underside of the wing has HARD paint!!   A thought

Ron, Apache #788
SailingJerry
Forum - Seaman

Boat Name / Hull Number: Pleiades #1076
Model Year: 1990
Home Port: City Island NY on Long Island Sound

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »

Remember that all boats are compromises. I am very happy with the extra cushion the wing keel gives when dropping the hook in a beautiful but shallow anchorage. The Long Island Sound runs very deep, but the rivers and inlets can be a problem. We love the wing.

Jerry Schilp

There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame
stevewitt1
Forum - Petty Officer 2nd Class

Boat Name / Hull Number: Forget-Me-Knot 854
Model Year: 1989
Home Port: Great Lakes (Oconto Yacht Club)

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 09:42:07 PM »

Most of my sailing is here on Green Bay and given the fact that somebody over in Michigan pulled the plug on Lake Huron/Michigan I'm very happy to be sailing with my wing keel.  With sand bars created by mother nature in our river I was made aware that I bought the only C34 Catalina made with the wing keel designed and supplied by CQR??? Crying

I agree with one thing, just use good situational awareness (I always seem to learn the hard way) but thinking back to the days on my C27 I could definitely wiggle through more with the fin.

I was so happy to find a 89 C34, you know, one of the couple years they had 3'10" draft vs 4'3"!!!!
Well when I hauled this fall and checked the shiny bottom of my wing I took a tape measure to my draft and measured 4'3"  Go figure, I must have accidentally stretched that tape, time for a new one.

Steve
visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com and www.warbirdsix.com

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:21:34 AM by stevewitt1 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: