Forepeak berth step

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

I guess I'm getting old, but it seems harder and harder to get into the forepeak!  Simple solution:  I had a plastic step from a previous boat (a Catalina 30), and just put it on the floor of the forepeak.  It dosen't get in my way, and it makes a really simple step. (The red arrow points to the step).
Scotty

Jim Hardesty

I keep a folding version of the step stool aboard, use it often.  Sometimes as a step, sometimes as a stool.  I've learned not to use it after it's been in the hot sun.  It's like the golf umbrella I keep aboard, they don't sound very shippy, but are often used.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

DarthOccam

My wife is fairly short, so we also have a folding stool to make it easier for her to get in and out of the v-berth.  Our is a cheap one from West Marine.  It lives in the drawer under the v-berth.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=46745&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50751&subdeptNum=50759&classNum=50760

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Stu Jackson

We boought that same one at ACE Hardware!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

I keep the same folding stool aboard Pau Hana but for another reason.  I'm kinda short and when motoring back to the marina in close quarters, my dodger is exactly the same height as my eye level.  I stand on the stool and it gives me the few extra inches of height to see over the Dodger.  Plus it makes me feel tall...  :D :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

All you skippers with tall dodgers:  Do you ever get tired of looking through plastic all the time you're out sailing? 

Our dodger is low, 'cuz the PO was SO short...

I know, I know, I have to duck when I come up or go down below, but it sure is nice to be able to stand up, or even sit behind the wheel, and see OVER the dodger.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ralph Masters

On Ciao Bella the dodger is the same as Kevin's, it hits right at eye level.  But the problem with the V Berth is not getting in but out, that step down can be a doozy in the dark.  The step thing looks like a "must have".

Thanks,

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

Quick question-do most of you here sleep in the v-berth?
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

scotty

Yes, we sleep in the V-berth.  We have an innerspring mattress and it is Muy Comodo!!!  The aft cabin used to be the garage, but it was so junky.  I cleaned it out and now it is the "guest room".  I also use it for napping during the day.
Scotty

Ralph Masters

The PO slept aft, the admiral and I find it a bit difficult getting into and out of, specially the person aft.  So we sleep forward, very roomy and easy in and out.  The aft cabin is fast becoming our "garage"/closet.

Ralph

Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

DarthOccam

Quote from: efhughes3 on May 29, 2012, 07:25:41 PM
Quick question-do most of you here sleep in the v-berth?

After trying the aft cabin and other berths, we settled on the v-berth.  It's proven the more comfortable and roomy, although a little more difficult for my wife to get out.  Hence the step.  The first couple of times she tried to hop out it reminded me of an aircraft hitting the deck of an aircraft carrier--controlled chaos. The step makes it much less entertaining.

We've taken the mattress out of the aft cabin and it functions as the attic most of the time.

Michael
Michael DeCamp
Serenity, #1703
Channel Islands Harbor, CA

Fred Koehlmann

Yep, forward v-berth for the admiral and captain, and the crew sleeps in the aft cabin. At ages 8 and 10 they fit better than we do. ;-)
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Stu Jackson on May 26, 2012, 06:22:38 PM
All you skippers with tall dodgers:  Do you ever get tired of looking through plastic all the time you're out sailing?  

Our dodger is low, 'cuz the PO was SO short...

I know, I know, I have to duck when I come up or go down below, but it sure is nice to be able to stand up, or even sit behind the wheel, and see OVER the dodger.

I found yet another reason to have a lower dodger this morning.  We left our anchorage at 0630 before sunup, with the dew still all over everything, including the dodger glass.  I cleaned BOTH the inside and the outside of the glass.

Within 20 minutes the glass was as clogged as it had been being out all night long.

Instead of having to continue to have to clean the glass (inside and out), while dodging the early morning high speed fishermen (none of whom had anyone at the helm!!!), it sure was nice to be able to stand up and see over the dodger.

45 minutes later we were into an "on-the-deck" fog bank, and I spent more time looking AROUND the boat, including forward, instead of having to try to clean and look THROUGH the glass.

I know, not enough to suggest that everyone with high dodgers cut 'em down, just sayin'...

Phil Spicer

We have used the same folding stool as Darth & Stu have. Found 3 sizes at the local RV center. Can also find them at TJ MAX & Home Goods, All at better prices than WM.
  Stu, when we had our dodger made, one of the first questions the builder asked was "do you want to look over or through the dodger." The wife said over because SHE runs the  boat in & out of the dock, & does it very well. She does almost all of the motoring, I usually just "drive" to & from winter storage. 
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Ron Hill

Guys : My opinion on the height of the dodger:

The tallest person should be able to look over the top.  The shorter person should be able to look under the dodger.  I have the "plastic glass" either zipped out or pulled tight under the dodger.  Rolling up the glass tends to let the UV cook, discolor and magnify the rolled up glass. Works out for us.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788