Beeding fuel lines?

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Mobley

I remove the fuel tank last week, took it home and cleaned it as described elsewhere.  I was really bad, maybe hadn't been cleaned in twenty year.  Anyway, I reinstalled it, added 10 gal of clean fuel and was going through the  bleeding the fuel system procedure  in a Universal procedure I downloaded.  I get plenty of fuel out the air bleed plug on the fuel filter.   I  don't get anything out the air bleed plug on the injector pump.   Given that it is the first time for all of this I assume that as with most things the first time, I am doing something wrong.   There is a simple thumb screw on the injector pump I believe.  I turn it and no fuel comes out.   Any hints on what to try next. :?

Stu Jackson

Bob, read this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2884.0.html

Fuel should not come out of the knurled knob area.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ted Pounds

Stu is right.  The knurled knob just bleeds fuel back into the fuel tank.  So if you only use it to bleed the system you avoid the mess of using the bleeds at the fuel filter.  :thumb:  If you can start your engine and it runs fine you've got the system bled.  8)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Don't thank me, thank Ken Heyman, "The Bleeder Headman."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Bob : If you opened the thumb screw bleed valve, disconnected the hose to the injection pump and no fuel came out - it was all air.  
Keep doing that until fuel comes out, then reconnect the hose and do that (truning the thumb screw 0pen to closed) a few more times and then start the engine.
A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Bob,

NOT.

As in do NOT take the hose off of any part of the diesel fuel system unless you're either:  1) replacing the hoses or 2) wanna spill fuel all over your engine compartment unnecessarily.

Just do what Ken says.  In fact, he followed his infamous "theoretical" bleed article up with this one:   http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5558.0.html

Bob Mobley

:clap Thanks all.   I guess I expected more fuel out the injector bleed for some reason.   Anyway, all is fine.  It started right up.