New laptop, old software

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Maptech, successfully installed on our old desktop computer, won't "allow" loading on my new laptop. I do have the Product ID and have previously registered.

Any ideas or experiences to get this puppy back up and running on the laptop?

This comes from http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5747.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Peggie Hall

I just had the same problem with scanner software...ran just fine on XP, wouldn't load on new computer 'cuz it doesn't have the drivers for Windows 7...I had to get updated software from HP. You'll  prob'ly have to have to get a patch or upgrade from Maptech.
Peggie Hall
Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
Author "The NEW Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation Systems and Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
http://www.amazon.com/New-Get-Rid-Boat-Odors/dp/1892399784/

MarkT

Try this.
> Right click on the installer program and choose create shortcut
> Right click on the shortcut you just created and choose properties.
> Click the compatibility tab
> Choose "Run in Compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3 also check the box to Run as Administrator.

Once the program is installed you may need to do the same thing to make it run. Just depends since often the program will run in Windows 7 but the Installer will not.

If you bought a new machine with 64 bit Windows 7 then all bets are off. You can only resort to upgrading to 7 Professional and installing XP Mode (Virtual Machine).

To check your type of Windows. >Start  > Right Click "Computer" > Choose Properties.
The particulars of your machine will be displayed.

Mark Tamblyn

Stu Jackson

Thanks, Peggie, and Mark.  I finally got it installed from the disc - probably "operator error" last night - my bad!  

To update my 5.06 version to the newer 5.08 version to run the NOAA charts (per the earlier discussion I linked above), I needed to call Maptech and buy ($25) the 5.08b installer CD-ROM since my new laptop is a 64 bit Windows 7.  The online download is only for 32 bit operating systems.

It also comes with a new Tides & Currents.

Terry?  Are you listening?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."