Air Conditioning

Previous topic - Next topic

burner

Does anyone have any advice on installing air conditioning on one of these boats?  I've just made an offer, unfortunately the boat doesn't have air.  Good location?  Will I have to make a new thru-hull for the sea water intake?  Thanks in advance.

Mike Smith

Steve -

I have a 12,000 BTU Cruisair central system installed in the hanging locker underneath the navigation table.  Since I live in the humidity capitol of the universe, the Florida panhandle, I keep it running all the time at my dock for the benefit of the interior of the boat.  The separate AC water pump croaked last week and the interior temperature of the boat was 104 every day 'til I replaced it!  Now it's 73.  Yes, you'll need through hulls installed.  Others have the unit installed in the forepeak and in the aft lazerette.  Good investment.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Ken Juul

this topic has been discussed several times before.  Try doing a search (top of the page), should find everything you need.  I have a total of 16000BTU, split system, 6000btu under the vberth, 10000Btu under the forward dinette settee.  water intake in the forward hanging locker feeds both systems.  Several people recommend running a seperate 30A circuit for the A/C, I just have one, have to watch the power usage so I don't blow the main breaker,but it is manageable.  Welcome to the group and c-34 ownership :)
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

kntclark

I installed a single 16,500 BTU unit from Mermaid.  It is under the V-berth with the output split into a 6" and a 4" duct.  The 6" is routed through the stbd. hanging locker in the forward cabin to a 4x8 vent in the main cabin forward bulkhead and a 4" round vent in the forward cabin.  The 4" duct is routed down the port side of the boat, passing between the top of the holding tank and the hull.  It feeds 4" round vents above the chart table, in the head, and in the aft cabin.  I replaced the drawer under the V-berth with a return air louver made to fit the existing opening.  I mounted it on hinges to give easy access to the storage area under the V-birth.

Cooling has been excellent all over the boat.  I have the gray nonskid on the decks which really heats up here in Southwest Florida.  A canvas cover on the forward hatch really helps out, too.

Terry Clark
Yet To Be #1095