Hard Dodger

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

The latest project.  With the advice of Mike (S/V Slacker) and Jack (S/V Mariah III), I've started to prototype a hard dodger.  We'll see how it turns out....

Cheers,

Rick

P.S.  The following link shows the details of Mike's project.  Look for the entries dated 1/2/09.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/slacker/

And thanks to Ron Hill for the idea of the PVC propane bottle storage that you can just see on the stern-rail in the second picture...
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Stu Jackson

Nice work, Rick.  Good idea with the side handrails.  It looks kinda high, though.  How do you tighten your mainsail and vang it going upwind with the main on the centerline?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Johnson

Stu,

I'm starting to worry about that myself.  It didn't seem so high when it was just the frame...  I may see about making it wider and lower...

Rick

Stu Jackson

Good thinin'.  I've earlier written about my preference for low dodgers, which allows us to sail by actually seeing without looking through plastic all the time.  The drawback, as most see it, is having to duck under to get down below.  We have a "sacrificial flap" of canvas at the aft end of the dodger, and have learned, easily, to duck when coming and going down the companionway stairs.  Guests hit that flap before the stainless rail - most of the time! You can see the relatively low dodger in our avatar picture.  The dodger frame came that way since our PO was only about 5'-4" tall! :D  We redid the canvas a few years ago and kept the dodger (and the side handrails - a very important feature).  I've noted, in our review of the C375 offered by our local dealer, Farallone Yachts, that the side handrails are offered as an "option" for their "ocean package."  I mentioned to them that SF Bay can oftentimes be wilder than the ocean, especially during the summer!  They just don't get it, and new boat owners oughta insist on the side rails.  Good Old Boat magazine or someone else did a great writeup on how to add them if you have to.  I have it on my regular computer, which is out getting repaired.  I'll post it to the wiki when it gets back from the shop.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Rick Johnson

Thanks Stu.  I checked the plans Catalina sent me for a soft dodger to see how close I was.  Looks like I'm 3" high and 1" narrow.  I think I can adjust that without too much trouble.  I agree with you that too tall of a dodger looks odd, but at 6'2" I do find myself banging my head on lots of things...  I'll drop it 3" and see how that looks.

I'm going to add a lip to the front and maybe use 1/2 round moulding on the trailing edge.  I plan to start the fiberglassing on Friday.

The stainless steel grabrails will be added when its all done...

Cheers,

Rick

Jack Hutteball

Looks great Rick.  Like the way mine started out.  Mine is a flatter shape however which eliminates the height problem... of course I am shorter than you, but I still have to duck a little going inside.  OK most of the time, but it always gets me when I have a cap with a bill on the front.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Rick Johnson

I've managed to finish sanding the FRP and attaching it to the dodger frame using stainless steel wire ties.  I added a layer of fiberglass cloth (8oz), biaxial cloth (37 oz per sq yard) and another layer of cloth(8oz).  Just that amount took over a 1/2 gallon of epoxy resin.  The front lip is still a little wavy, so I plan on hitting it with a long board sander this weekend.  It's about 1/8" inch thick so far (FRP + new fiberglass).  I'll add 2 more layers of biaxial cloth, 1 of 8oz cloth and 2 finish layers of 6oz cloth.  That should make it about 1/4" think or a little more.  Then lots of sanding before deciding on paint or gelcoat...  I wish I had buddies who would spray it for me like Ron....

So far it has not been too bad.  Cost is about $200, with about $150-$200 to finish it....  We had several day of sun on the lake last week, so I already know that it will help keep the sun from beating down the companionway.

Cheers,

Rick

Michael Shaner

Michael & Alison Shaner

Lance Jones

Rick,
That really does look great! Will the forward lip be the attachment point for "Soft" parts? Great job. :thumb:
Did you do the stainless bending or was that the original frame?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Rick Johnson

Lance,

Yes, I'm going to add aluminum awning track (probably from Sailrite.com), so I can add windows to the front and sides.  I doubt that I need those in Texas but the shade will be very welcome during the summer.

The frame was given to me by a friend in Southern California (Charlie Silver, owner of Marina Sailing in Newport Beach).  He was not sure what it came off of, but it was close to the Catalina specs.

The only sail loft/canvas shop here in Austin didn't want to make the soft dodger, so this was the next best choice....

Cheers,

Rick

Lance Jones

Great job. I followed the link you posted in your first post on this and it was very interesting. May be a long term project. Where did you get your FRP and what is FRP?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Rick Johnson

Lance,

FRP is for (fiberglass reinforced plastic).  They are 4'x8' panels you can get at Home Depot (stocked item, $32).  One side is smooth and the other side has a texture.  Sand off the ABS plastic coating and you are left with a good surface to start the layup of your fiberglass.  The smooth surface should give me a good finish on the underside...

Did you find the info at Slacker's blog?  It's dated 1/26/09.

Cheers,

Rick

Stu Jackson

Lookin' VERY good Rick.

Here's that side grab rails article from Good Old Boat (2000 or 2002).  If you can't read it when zooming in, email me at mraquaq at aol dot com and I'll send you the larger originally scanned file.

what did you decide to do about the height?

Rick Johnson

Stu,

Thanks for the offer, I just sent you an email to get the file.

For the height, I cut 2 inches off the main dodger frame tube. The dodger frame is now 63.5" high.  Catalina's plans shows a height of 62.5 for their soft dodger frame.  I'm stopping there, it's just about right for my height.  With the sail cover off, it looks about perfect.

Thanks,

Rick

P.S.  More Texas fun tonight.  Hail just as I was getting home (with a tornado watch).  The weather office reported the size at 2".  A few more dings in the poor truck....

Rick Johnson

I'm getting really sick of sanding fiberglass!  2 coats of primer, with 2 more to go...  Then finish coat of Interlux Perfection and 2 stainless steel grab rails....

About $400 into the whole project.

Cheers,

Rick

This goes here for more:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5402.0.html