C 34 keels

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny

Hello everyone I am a new guest. As we live in Australia I haven't had the chance to check this out. Have only ever seen one C34 (at sea). My query regards the keels on these yachts. Are they a bolt on type (from the outside?)
Have any members had any trouble with these keels coming loose? We are looking at flying to USA to buy  a C34 wing keel to sail back to Oz.
Love your web site.  regards, Benny.

Jon Schneider

Not sure what you mean by bolt on "from the outside."  The keel is bolted on.  Like most boats in this size and price range, the keel bolts are at the top of the keel and pop up into the bilge.  They require virtually no maintenance other than chasing away any rust that might develop.  You will hear of a Catalina "smile," which describes the crack in the joint compound that can develop when that compound gets old and brittle and thus splits.  I'm not aware of this being prominent on C34s, but it does occur quite regularly on C30s.  It too is easily remedied and is not a sign of any significant defect or imminent separation between the keel and the hull.  And, if one owns a Hunter, it's called a "Hunter smile," a Pearson is a "Pearson smile," etc. 
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ken Juul

If my memory is correct there are 6 (maybe 8) huge threaded stainless rods holding the keel on.  I think it is a 1 1/4" nut.  They are supposed to be torqued to 105 ft lbs.  I think I was the first owner (of 3) to check the torque on my boat.  After 13 years all the nuts snugged up to 105 ft lbs within a half a turn of the torque wrench.  The keel isn't going to fall off unless you hit something hard enough to cause major structural damage. 

Why the wing keel?  I thought most of the Australian cruising grounds were fairly deep.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

sailingdream

Ok, I know I might get into trouble for saying this. But is a C34 capable really to sail down to OZ from the US with the stock factory rigging?

Stephen Butler

No need to worry about the keel...our 34 went over on the hard during hurricane Wilma, stressing the rudder and necessitating a check.  After dropping the keel a few inches (a 2 hour job) and then reattaching (3M5200 and bolts), the keel is there to stay. Also noteworthy was that there was no structural damage, despite the rough and tumble of 2 strom surges.   

However, a very real worry in our experience, is the rudder.  Older C34s had a mild steel structure in the rudder, which over time, tended to weaken due to rusting.  If purchasing an older 34, and planning to take it off-shore, even a short distance, I would strongly urge a new rudder.  Our own rudder needed replacement after Wilma, and had we not been forced, would have still had to do it as the interior was pretty much rusted out.  Just a thought.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Benny : When I accused Jerry Douglas (designer of the C34) about putting 3M5200 in between the hull and the keel -- he only smiled and said, "You've never heard of a Catalina loosing it's keel, have you?"!!! 
Enough said.   :D
Ron, Apache #788

Benny

Thanks guys, the yachts I'm used to in Oz of course have keel bolts to hold the lead ballast to the hull/keel stub too. The shoal draft wing keel is useful to enter the many shallow bar entrances on our east coast. I have given away racing these days and find great pleasure in 'gunkholing' (an American term I believe). I would of course have items such as rigging, rudder checked/replaced
There have been longer voyages in lesser craft than a C34 (a bloke last year had an article in the 'Cruising Helmsman' magazine on sailing a 1985 Hunter back
I think its more of a case if me and my crew have the stamina!
Thanks again for the tips - regards, Benny.

joe

benny, i certainly hope you will keep us posted on your preparations for the trip and also the journey itself
joe hamilton;  1988 catalina hull # 792; fresh water inland lake; "march hare"

Stephen Butler

We usually sail off shore, 10 to 40 miles out and on occasion, find ourselves in some "lump" seas and too far to run for a harbor.  Based on our experiences, the C34 will take quite a bit more punishment than the average crew can or would wish to tolerate. On deck, the helms-person can tuck securely into either side of the wheel (we have a close stern), but in the cabin, it is not at all easy to find a really secure place.  The newer CYs with their larger/more open cabins, larger cockpits, and open sterns would make it even harder to secure oneself when moving around while the boat is coming off 10 to 15 foot waves.   

If we continue using our C34 off shore, I think the first thing I will do is change/reinforce the foreward hatch...probably the one part of the hull/deck that takes the most pounding in a seaway.

Another challenge will be storing the needed water and food for your crew, in a secure manner. 

Benny, we certainly do wish you the best and with proper preparation, look foreward to your safe arrival. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ted Pounds

Steve,
When I replaced the lens on my forward hatch (because of a crack) I stepped it up from 1/4 inch to 3/8 inch.  Just built up a little bevel of sealant around the raised edge and no one ever noticed.  But the result is a 50% stronger hatch.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

Benny, the only "disparaging" remarks that I have noted in the past almost ten years about wing keels compared to fin keels has to do with their pointing ability.  That said, the difference is essentially minuscule and applies more often on the race course than in cruising.  Sure, it's nice to point higher, but...the difference is barely measurable.

And most of your planned trip will be downwind anyway.

The righting moments are essentially the same, so a wing keel for your proposed transit shouldn't provide any liability.

Steve's right: check or replace the rudder before you make the hop.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."